Document Detail


The value of skin biopsy in inflammatory dermatoses.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  19461238     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The skin biopsy is considered one of the most important tools in dermatology. Two primary reasons a clinician may perform a skin biopsy are either to establish a diagnosis or to evaluate therapy. The objective of this study was to critically assess the value of the skin biopsy as a diagnostic test for inflammatory dermatoses. One hundred consecutive skin biopsy specimens where an inflammatory dermatosis was queried were reviewed. To assess the diagnostic ability of the skin biopsy, the frequency with which a correct diagnosis was made based on histopathological analysis alone was recorded, that is, an initial "blind" diagnosis made without clinical data. Once this was recorded, the clinical history was provided and a posthistory diagnosis reached. The posthistory diagnosis was then compared with the final working diagnosis in the patient case notes. In 55% of cases, histology was able to provide a prehistory specific diagnosis. In 31% of cases, histology was not able to provide a specific diagnosis but could provide a differential diagnosis. In two thirds of these (20 of the 31 cases), the diagnosis was reached posthistory with clinicopathologic correlation. In 12% of cases, histology could only provide a pattern analysis, and in 2% of cases, only a descriptive report could be issued. In 13% of cases, the biopsy provided the final working diagnosis, which had not been considered clinically. The skin biopsy for inflammatory dermatoses is clearly a worthwhile investigative procedure. Prehistory blind histology based on microscopic data provided an accurate diagnosis correlating to the working diagnosis in 53% of cases. The diagnostic boundaries of dermatopathology are such that in an additional 25 cases (25%) a diagnosis was reached with aid of clinical data proving the importance of providing a well-thought-out differential diagnosis. Overall, in 78% of cases, histology with the aid of clinical information was able to provide an accurate diagnosis correlating to the working diagnosis.
Authors:
Ratna Rajaratnam; Andrew G Smith; Asok Biswas; Mark Stephens
Related Documents :
18377598 - Specific cutaneous manifestations in adult t-cell leukemia/lymphoma.
24099428 - Comparison of free hand versus ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of thyroid with...
8765838 - In vivo expression of il-12 and il-13 in atopic dermatitis.
24692028 - Isolated calyx mistaken for a cyst: inappropriately performed catheter-directed sclerot...
6498388 - Experience of thin cutaneous melanomas (less than 0.76 mm and less than 0.85 mm thick) ...
12761708 - Isolated tonsillar sarcoidosis manifested as asymmetric palantine tonsils.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Validation Studies    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The American Journal of dermatopathology     Volume:  31     ISSN:  1533-0311     ISO Abbreviation:  Am J Dermatopathol     Publication Date:  2009 Jun 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2009-05-22     Completed Date:  2009-07-30     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7911005     Medline TA:  Am J Dermatopathol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  350-3     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Dermatology, Central Outpatients Department, University Hospital North Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust, Stoke on Trent, United Kingdom. ratnarajaratnam@doctors.org.uk
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Biopsy / standards*
Child
Dermatitis / pathology*
Dermatology / standards*
Diagnosis, Differential
Female
Humans
Male
Medical History Taking
Middle Aged
Pathology, Clinical / standards*
Skin / pathology*
Young Adult

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  p16 expression in conventional and desmoplastic trichilemmomas.
Next Document:  Allelotyping, microsatellite instability, and BRAF mutation analyses in common and atypical melanocy...