Document Detail


The smoke-free policies of Lanarkshire general practices.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  8655299     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
A telephone survey was performed to examine the smoke-free policies at Lanarkshire general practices sited outwith health centres. Forty-nine practices were contacted and all agreed to take part. Thirty-three practices (67%) reported that there was a complete ban on smoking within the building. The remaining 16 practices (33%) reported that the building was largely no-smoking with smoking by staff restricted to designated smoking areas. No practices permitted patients to smoke within the main practice premises. Few practices reported experiencing any difficulties with either the implementation or operation of the smoke-free policies. Although it is possible that problems may not have been recognised or not reported, these results are encouraging. They suggest that smoking in surgeries is the exception rather than the rule. The finding that patients largely respect the smoking ban in practice premises also suggests that the health service exemplar role is being recognised by the public. Practices that currently have no smoking restrictions should review their policy. Practices that do impose restrictions must recognise the needs of staff who smoke and offer appropriate support to help them to stop.
Authors:
S A Evans; A Henderson
Related Documents :
3109609 - Evaluation of portable haemoglobinometer in general practice.
19000399 - Maximising recruitment and retention of general practices in clinical trials: a case st...
14611009 - Diagnostic uncertainty in general practice. a unique opportunity for research?
1817119 - The monitoring of prothrombin time ratios in general practice--a model for chronic dise...
138609 - Temetex in the treatment of steroid-responsive dermatoses.
2891849 - Characteristics of long term benzodiazepine users in general practice.
1219339 - Management of patients who overdose.
10168439 - Intermediate tax sanctions: an overview.
10130459 - A matter of degree: job skills for human service administrators.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Health bulletin     Volume:  54     ISSN:  0374-8014     ISO Abbreviation:  Health Bull (Edinb)     Publication Date:  1996 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1996-07-26     Completed Date:  1996-07-26     Revised Date:  2009-11-11    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0012330     Medline TA:  Health Bull (Edinb)     Country:  SCOTLAND    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  126-30     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Public Health Medicine, Lanarkshire Health Board, Hamilton.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Family Practice*
Humans
Occupational Health*
Office Management / organization & administration*
Organizational Policy
Questionnaires
Scotland
Smoking / prevention & control*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  The value of skin testing in patients with chronic rhinitis.
Next Document:  Wide variation in the use of thrombolytic therapy among junior doctors in south and central Scotland...