Document Detail


The significance of close but negative excision margin for treatment of soft-tissue sarcoma.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23154334     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
MATERIALS AND METHODS: We evaluated our soft-tissue sarcoma cases who had received wide excision in the past 15 years. The surgical margin conditions (negative, positive, or close margins) and pathologic status were evaluated. The different management modalities for each condition were also evaluated individually and discussed.
RESULTS: There were 73 cases from 1995 to 2010 in our section who had received wide excision. The overall recurrence rate was 24.6%. In cases with margin positive, the recurrence rate was 20% (2/8) after quick reexcision. However, the recurrence rate was 56% in patients who received R/T but without quick reexcision. In cases with close resection margins (<2 mm) with no reexcision but R/T, the recurrence rate was 45%, and all of them had a high-grade malignancy sarcoma. The other nonrecurrence cases (55%) had low-grade malignancy or well-differentiated sarcoma.In summary, in cases with positive margin sarcoma, quick reexcision plus R/T was suggested and the recurrence rate was relatively low. In soft-tissue sarcoma cases with close margin, we believe quick reexcision plus R/T is necessary, especial in high-grade, poor differentiated soft-tissue sarcomas.
Authors:
Yu-Wen Tang; Chih-Sheng Lai
Related Documents :
24783154 - Intra-oral schwannoma- a case report.
23665824 - Testicular hemangioma: a series of 8 cases.
24902094 - Evaluation of left renal vein and inferior vena cava variations through routine abdomin...
23408794 - Multiplane transesophageal echocardiography for multiclinical dilemmas.
6886794 - Adult aqueductal stenosis presenting with fluctuating hearing loss and vertigo. report ...
2272014 - Leiomyoma involving the gastrocolic ligament: ct demonstration.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Annals of plastic surgery     Volume:  69     ISSN:  1536-3708     ISO Abbreviation:  Ann Plast Surg     Publication Date:  2012 Dec 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-11-16     Completed Date:  2013-05-01     Revised Date:  2013-05-20    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7805336     Medline TA:  Ann Plast Surg     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  633-6     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan. newvin@gmail.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Analysis of Variance
Child
Female
Follow-Up Studies
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Neoplasm Grading
Neoplasm Recurrence, Local
Neoplasm Staging
Radiotherapy, Adjuvant
Retrospective Studies
Risk Factors
Sarcoma / mortality,  pathology,  radiotherapy*,  secondary,  surgery*
Soft Tissue Neoplasms / mortality,  pathology,  radiotherapy*,  surgery*
Survival Rate
Treatment Outcome
Young Adult

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Successful treatment of kasabach-merritt phenomenon with intralesional corticosteroid injections: a ...
Next Document:  Are auricular keloids and persistent hypertrophic scars resectable? The role of intrascar excision.