Document Detail


The role of diagnostic ultrasound in the study of fetal cardiac abnormalities.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  6390904     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Between January 1982 and April 1983, a total of 315 patients was scanned for fetal Congenital Heart Disease (CHD). In 70% of these patients, there was an increased risk for CHD in their offspring, in the remaining 30% abnormal findings were made by ultrasound in the present pregnancy. Nine cardiac defects were correctly diagnosed. There were three false positive and three false negative findings. The presence of fetal dysrhythmia, Intra-Uterine Growth Retardation (IUGR), ascites or polyhydramnios warrants a structural analysis of the fetal heart. Prenatal scanning for CHD should preferably be carried out in centres which can guarantee a high degree of scanning experience, up-to-date scanning equipment and close cooperation with a well-established neonatal and pediatric cardiology unit.
Authors:
J W Wladimiroff; P A Stewart; H M Tonge
Related Documents :
7719874 - Natural history of echogenic foci within ventricles of the fetal heart.
11530124 - Treatment of hypertension in pregnancy: effect of atenolol on maternal disease, preterm...
23244994 - 160 conception rates following treatment of lactating holstein recipients with a gonado...
8166114 - Peanut butter and fatal fluoride poisoning. a case of mistaken identity.
23526304 - Uterine perforation caused by intrauterine devices: clinical course and treatment.
7788494 - Doppler flow velocimetry of the umbilical artery, uteroplacental arteries and fetal mid...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Ultrasound in medicine & biology     Volume:  10     ISSN:  0301-5629     ISO Abbreviation:  Ultrasound Med Biol     Publication Date:    1984 Jul-Aug
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1985-01-14     Completed Date:  1985-01-14     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0410553     Medline TA:  Ultrasound Med Biol     Country:  ENGLAND    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  457-63     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
False Negative Reactions
False Positive Reactions
Female
Fetal Growth Retardation / diagnosis
Heart Defects, Congenital / diagnosis*
Humans
Polyhydramnios / diagnosis
Pregnancy
Prenatal Diagnosis*
Risk
Ultrasonography*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Pulsed Doppler spectral analysis of bounded fluid jets.
Next Document:  Ultrasound in the diagnosis and management of urinary tract disorders in the fetus.