Document Detail


The reverse sural artery flap for the reconstruction of distal third of the leg and foot.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23050798     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Soft tissue defects around the distal third of the leg and the foot present a major reconstructive challenge. There is limited expertise with free tissue transfers in many developing countries necessitating consideration of other options for the closure of such defects. The versatility and reliability of sural artery flap have made it an emerging popular option for the reconstruction of such defects. Twenty patients comprising of 13 males and 7 females with soft tissue defects of the lower third of the leg and foot requiring soft tissue cover were treated between January 2006 and December 2010. The age range was 7-58 years with a mean age of 30 years. Nineteen (95%) of the defects were post-traumatic while one (5%) was post-infective. All the defects were covered with reversed sural artery flaps which were raised on the posterior aspect of the junction of the upper and middle third of the leg. The smallest flap was 4 × 4 cm(2) while the largest measured 20 × 12 cm(2) . The donor defect was closed directly in 7 (35%) patients, while split skin graft was applied in the remaining 13 (65%) patients. There was satisfactory flap healing in 17 patients (85%), while 3 patients (15%) had complete flap necrosis. Two of these patients had significant comorbidities of haemoglobinopathy and poorly controlled diabetes mellitus. Sural artery flap remains a viable option for the reconstruction of soft tissue defects of distal third of the leg and foot. Caution should, however, be exercised in patients with some significant systemic diseases.
Authors:
Olayinka Adebanji Olawoye; Samuel Adesina Ademola; Kayode Iyun; Afie Michael; Odunayo Oluwatosin
Related Documents :
23609788 - Genomewide molecular and biologic characterization of biomembrane formation adjacent to...
23057238 - Regional cartilage properties of three quadruped tibiofemoral joints used in musculoske...
23768898 - Complement-more than killing.
23158898 - On the biology of the bony otic capsule and the pathogenesis of otosclerosis.
18831858 - Evaluating structural differences in cortical bone tissue after demineralization and ca...
20979688 - Structure and biocompatibility of an injectable bone regeneration composite.
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2012-10-11
Journal Detail:
Title:  International wound journal     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1742-481X     ISO Abbreviation:  Int Wound J     Publication Date:  2012 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-10-11     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101230907     Medline TA:  Int Wound J     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Copyright Information:
© 2012 The Authors. International Wound Journal © 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd and Medicalhelplines.com Inc.
Affiliation:
OA Olawoye, BM, ChB FWACS, Department of Surgery, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria SA Ademola, MB ChB, FWACS, Department of Surgery, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria K Iyun, FWACS, Department of Surgery, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria A Michael, FWACS, Department of Surgery, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria O Oluwatosin, FWACS, Department of Surgery, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Microfinance institutions and a coastal community's disaster risk reduction, response, and recovery ...
Next Document:  Human ?-defensin (DEFA) gene expression helps to characterise benign and malignant salivary gland tu...