Document Detail


A prospective single-institution evaluation of current practices of early postoperative feeding after elective intestinal surgery.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23025960     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Postoperative diet advancement in patients undergoing elective small bowel or colorectal surgery by general surgeons (GSs) and colorectal surgeons (CRSs) was prospectively evaluated. Demographic (age and gender), disease location (small bowel or colorectum), surgical approach (laparoscopic or open), and surgeon characteristics (GS or GRS) were tabulated. Postoperative feeding after surgery on postoperative Day (POD) 1 was assessed. Operations involved the colorectum (n = 43 [72%]) or small bowel (n = 17 [28%]) and were performed using laparoscopy (n = 38 [63%]) or open (n = 22 [37%]) techniques. Operations were performed by GSs (n = 30) or CRSs (n = 30). Early feeding was ordered on POD 1 on 34 patients (57%). The remaining 26 patients (43%) were kept nothing by mouth. Factors associated with early feeding included age younger than 50 years (P = .004), surgery done by CRSs (P < 0.0001), operations on the colorectum (P = 0.04), and laparoscopic surgery (P = 0.07). Multivariable analysis revealed that age younger than 50 years (odds ratio [OR], 9.5; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.8 to 52; P = 0.01), surgery done by CRSs (OR, 16.3; 95% CI, 3.4 to 79.6; P = 0.001), and use of laparoscopic surgery (OR, 12; 95% CI, 2.1 to 67; P = 0.007) were associated with early postoperative feeding. Early postoperative feeding does not appear to be applied commonly in clinical practice. Younger patient age, surgery done by CRSs, and laparoscopy are associated with the use of early postoperative feeding after elective intestinal surgery.
Authors:
Tamar Rohatiner; Joseph Wend; Samuel Rhodes; Zuri Murrell; Dror Berel; Phillip Fleshner
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The American surgeon     Volume:  78     ISSN:  1555-9823     ISO Abbreviation:  Am Surg     Publication Date:  2012 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-10-02     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0370522     Medline TA:  Am Surg     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1147-50     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  A simple algorithm for drain management after pancreaticoduodenectomy.
Next Document:  The evolving management of infected pancreatic necrosis.