Document Detail


An optimal cut-off point of serum C-reactive protein in prediction of neonatal sepsis.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23724458     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Process    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To determine an optimal cut-off point of serum C-reactive protein (CRP) levels for prediction of neonatal sepsis.
MATERIAL AND METHOD: A prospective cohort study of neonates aged from birth to 30 days old presenting with signs and symptoms of neonatal sepsis in neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) from January 2010 through December 2011 was performed. Neonates were assigned to either sepsis or normal group depending on blood culture status. Serial CRP (12-24 hours apart) and complete blood count were then analyzed using independent t-test, Wilcoxon rank-sum test and Receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curves.
RESULTS: Of 53 neonates recruited into the present study, 26 (49%) were assigned to sepsis group and the remaining 27 (51%) were assigned to normal group. Baseline characteristics for the two groups were similar except for the higher amount of male participants in sepsis group (p-value 0.006). Most patients in sepsis group (7/26) demonstrated coagulase-negative staphylococci (CoNS) sepsis. The values of 1st CRP and 2nd CRP were significantly higher in sepsis group compared to normal group (p-value < 0.001 and 0.003). From ROC curves, at the cut-off points of 1st CRP > or = 1.90 mg/L and 2nd CRP > or = 1.25 mg/L, the sensitivity were as high as 92.6% and 96.3%, respectively, and the specificity were both at 100%.
CONCLUSION: Serial CRP is safe as diagnostic tool to consider antimicrobial treatment in neonatal sepsis with sensitivity of 92.6% and 96.3% for the first CRP cut-off point > or = 1.90 mg/L and the second CRP > or = 1.25 mg/L with 100% positive predictive value. Moreover, these safety profiles might help in reducing overuse of antibiotics with negative predictive value 96.3%.
Authors:
Suppawat Boonkasidecha; Jantana Panburana; Somboon Chansakulporn; Banchaun Benjasuwantep; Kittipong Kongsomboon
Related Documents :
19318078 - Longitudinal research on the oral environment of elderly wearing fixed or removable pro...
23869518 - A prospective, randomized controlled trial of circumcision in adult males using the co2...
17722078 - Splenectomy for immune thrombocytopenic purpura: surgery for the 21st century.
24877078 - The effects of high-intensity versus low-intensity resistance training on leg extensor ...
17967588 - Clopidogrel and long-term outcomes after stent implantation for acute coronary syndrome.
6716138 - Long-term follow-up review of cases of parkinson's disease after unilateral or bilatera...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand = Chotmaihet thangphaet     Volume:  96 Suppl 1     ISSN:  0125-2208     ISO Abbreviation:  J Med Assoc Thai     Publication Date:  2013 Jan 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2013-06-03     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7507216     Medline TA:  J Med Assoc Thai     Country:  Thailand    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  S65-70     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Srinakarinwirot University, Nakhon Nayok, Thailand. suppawat_voo@hotmail.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Apoptotic induction of skin cancer cell death by plant extracts.
Next Document:  Expressional changes of carbamoyl phosphate synthetase and glutamine synthetase in the liver of rat ...