Document Detail


The kinetics and dynamics of three kinds of radioactive methionine after i.v. administration in mice.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  1823873     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
In C57BL mice, a tracer amount of methionine (Met) at a concentration approximate to that in the blood was administered in the tail vein (i.v.). The rates of endogenous metabolic decomposition of methionine were obtained by using three specifically labelled compounds, [1-14C]-Met, [m-14C]-Met and [35S]-Met. Results on the kinetics and dynamics after i.v. administration suggested that 5 min after administration, most of the labelled compounds were taken up into the organs and tissues, and only a small portion was excreted in the expired air as CO2, the final metabolite of methionine. At 30 min the radioactive concentration in blood was minimal and was consistent with the maximum of the 14CO2 excretion in expired air. Gradual increase of the radioactive concentration in blood after 30 min might be due to the contribution of the metabolite in the blood. Methionine taken up was endogenously utilized by more than 40% during 48 h and it maintained the order of [1-14C]:[m-14C]:[35S]. Out of the remaining 60%, 40% was metabolized in 6 h after administration, the [1-14C] moiety being excreted mainly into expired air, the [m-14C] moiety into expired air and urine, and the [35S] moiety mainly into urine and partly into faeces. Microautoradiograms revealed that a part of the last 20% was taken up into the enzyme proteins contained in the pancreatic juice and intestinal juice, and was decomposed within 48 h.
Authors:
E Hayama; N Motoji; A Shigematsu
Related Documents :
8631393 - L-arginine and pancreatic islet blood flow in anesthetized rats.
1185563 - Blood concentration profiles of acetaminophen following oral administration of fatty ac...
21372183 - Tenacity of mammalian viruses in the gut of leeches fed with porcine blood.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  European journal of drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics     Volume:  16     ISSN:  0378-7966     ISO Abbreviation:  Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet     Publication Date:    1991 Oct-Dec
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1992-10-08     Completed Date:  1992-10-08     Revised Date:  2011-02-02    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7608491     Medline TA:  Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet     Country:  FRANCE    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  287-97     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Institute of Whole Body Metabolism, Chiba, Japan.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Animals
Autoradiography
Carbon Radioisotopes / diagnostic use
Feces / chemistry
Injections, Intravenous
Male
Methionine / administration & dosage,  pharmacokinetics*
Mice
Mice, Inbred C57BL
Respiration
Silver Staining
Sulfur Radioisotopes / diagnostic use
Tissue Distribution
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Carbon Radioisotopes; 0/Sulfur Radioisotopes; 63-68-3/Methionine

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Trapezoidal area method for simulating physiological pharmacokinetics of drugs in animals.
Next Document:  Pharmacokinetic studies of ambenonium chloride in patients with myasthenia gravis.