Document Detail


The direct potential of the intestinal wall. Its change in ischemia and revascularization. An experimental study in the rat.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  1219939     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The DC otential between the jejunal mucosa and the skin of the tail's root was measured in 29 rats. In twenty animals the superior mesenteric artery was clamped during up to VBJ minutes and recording of the DC potential was performed before vascular obstruction, during the period of ischaemia, and after revascularization was resumed when the clamp was removed. Prolonged ischaemia of the jejunum led to increasing reduction of the DC potential but recovery occurred about 75% of the rats when revascularization was established. The remaining 25% did not recover from vascular occlusion due to thrombosis or mechanical damage to the arterial wall. After removal of the elctrodes from the former group functional recovery of the intestinal function occurred in all the animals in which the removal was successful and no perforation of the intestinal wall was produced. Measuring transmural potential may be a convenient method to assess the viability of an infarcted intestine, thus aiding in selecting the appropriate therapeutic measures and in prognostic evaluation.
Authors:
S T Campos; C Timo-Iaria
Related Documents :
17670629 - Off-pump myocardial revascularizaton in a jehovah's witness patient with pheochromocytoma.
8203979 - Optimal timing of abdominal aortic aneurysm repair after coronary artery revascularizat...
8151399 - Role of thallium-201 and pet imaging in evaluation of myocardial viability and manageme...
19958859 - Long-term morbidity and mortality among medically managed patients with angina and mult...
24324809 - Regulation of heat shock proteins 27 and 70, p-akt/p-enos and mapks by naringin dampens...
17669519 - Transmyocardial laser revascularization plus cell therapy for refractory angina.
7892819 - Coronary anatomic and procedural characteristics of patients randomized to coronary ang...
9800849 - Combined lung volume reduction and mitral valve reconstruction.
835719 - Effects of intravenous anesthetic agents on left ventricular function in dogs.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Comparative Study; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Revista brasileira de pesquisas médicas e biológicas     Volume:  8     ISSN:  0034-7310     ISO Abbreviation:  Rev Bras Pesqui Med Biol     Publication Date:    1975 Sep-Dec
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1976-05-18     Completed Date:  1976-05-18     Revised Date:  2009-11-11    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0140423     Medline TA:  Rev Bras Pesqui Med Biol     Country:  BRAZIL    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  481-7     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Animals
Ischemia
Ligation*
Male
Potentiometry
Rats
Skin Physiological Phenomena*
Surgical Procedures, Operative*
Tail / physiology*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Estimation of renal hypertrophy: comparison of renal diameter, weight and volume.
Next Document:  Neuromuscular abnormalities in the major mental illnesses. I. Serum enzyme studies.