Document Detail


The diagnosis of sinonasal lymphoma: a challenge for rhinologists.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22120749     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The presenting symptoms of sinonasal lymphoma are usually similar to those of benign inflammatory diseases. Adequate amount of biopsy tissue is required for a definitive diagnosis because tumor coexisting with necrosis or inflammation is not uncommon. Therefore, the diagnosis of sinonasal lymphoma is a challenge for rhinologists. Thirty-two patients diagnosed as having sinonasal lymphoma from 1990 to 2010 in our hospital were included in this study. The presenting symptoms of these patients included nasal obstruction, rhinorrhea, bloody discharge/epistaxis, post nasal drip, facial swelling, neck mass, orbital symptoms, fever, and body weight loss. The average period between patients' awareness of their symptoms and their decision to seek medical help was 8.9 months. When they were referred to our hospital, the first impression of 20 patients (62.5%) was benign or malignant nasal neoplasm, and that of the other 12 patients (37.5%) was rhinitis or rhinosinusitis. These patients then received image studies and biopsy or surgical intervention. Most patients needed repeated biopsies, endoscopic sinus surgery, turbinectomy, or Caldwell-Luc operation for a definitive diagnosis. Their histopathologic classification included NK/T cell lymphoma (n = 13, 40.6%), peripheral T cell lymphoma (n = 12, 37.5%), and diffuse large B cell lymphoma (n = 7, 21.9%). Peripheral T cell lymphoma and NK/T cell lymphoma mostly occurred in the nasal cavity, whereas sinus involvement without nasal disease is common in B-cell lymphoma Our results reveal that patients with sinonasal NHL tend to ignore their symptoms until they become serious, and a definitive diagnosis usually requires repeat and deep biopsy.
Authors:
Ting-Ting Yen; Ren-Ching Wang; Rong-San Jiang; Shyh-Chang Chen; Shang-Heng Wu; Kai-Li Liang
Related Documents :
17114779 - Diagnosis of acute q fever by pcr on sera during a recent outbreak in rural south austr...
11064659 - Ct diagnosis of acute appendicitis in a femoral hernia.
21751649 - Sjogren's thrombocytopenia.
22041119 - Surgical treatment of tongue lymphangioma in a pediatric patient: a case report.
22163079 - Comparison of diagnostic accuracy of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiratio...
21737959 - Pathologic features of polycystic thyroid disease: comparison with benign nodular goiter.
11113819 - Superficial arteriovenous hemangioma of the oral cavity.
11799419 - Intrasellar tuberculoma presenting as pituitary apoplexy.
16150849 - Demyelinated neocortical lesions in marmoset autoimmune encephalomyelitis mimic those i...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2011-11-26
Journal Detail:
Title:  European archives of oto-rhino-laryngology : official journal of the European Federation of Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Societies (EUFOS) : affiliated with the German Society for Oto-Rhino-Laryngology - Head and Neck Surgery     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1434-4726     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2011 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-11-28     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9002937     Medline TA:  Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Department of Otolaryngology, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, No.160, Sec. 3, Taichung-Kung Road, Taichung, 40705, Taiwan.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Dynamic visual noise reduces confidence in short-term memory for visual information.
Next Document:  Comparison of the clinical relevance of traditional and new classification systems of temporal bone ...