Document Detail


Value of CT pulmonary arteriography and venography in the evaluation of venous thromboembolism in a multiracial Asian population.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23769556     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: There is increasing evidence that CT pulmonary arteriography and venography allow a better diagnostic yield for deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in suspected acute pulmonary embolism (PE). The aim was to investigate the value for using such an approach in a multiracial Asian population.
METHODS: A total of 135 consecutive subjects with clinically suspected PE in various clinical settings (postoperative in 23 subjects) were referred and evaluated for venous thromboembolism using CT pulmonary arteriography and venography in a tertiary hospital, Malaysia. The distribution of DVT was assessed based on the frequency rate of thrombosis in a particular anatomical region (inferior vena cava, pelvic, femoral and popliteal).
RESULTS: In 130 subjects, excluding 5 subjects having poor images, both DVT and PE were detected in 11.5% (15/130) subjects and DVT alone was detected in 6.9% (9/130) subjects giving a combined rate of venous thromboembolism of 18.4%. A history of malignancy was significantly associated with positive scans, P = 0.02. It was found that left pelvic veins (18.2%) and left femoral veins (19.5%) were more commonly thrombosed in this population.
CONCLUSION: CT pulmonary arteriography and venography is a useful technique in the evaluation of venous thromboembolism in a multi-racial Asian population.
Authors:
Yeong Ji Lee; Rozman Zakaria; Zaleha Abdul Manaf; Zahiah Mohamed; Yeong Yeh Lee
Related Documents :
15615986 - Incidental detection of pulmonary emboli on routine mdct of the chest.
15011226 - A rapid quantitative turbimetric d-dimer assay has high sensitivity for detection of pu...
19145806 - Screening of pulmonary embolism by ventilation / perfusion tomography-spect and compara...
7152856 - Accuracy of the chest radiograph in diagnosis of pulmonary embolism.
11932686 - Treatment of abdominal aortic anastomotic pseudoaneurysm with percutaneous coil emboliz...
21190306 - The relationship between brachial artery flow-mediated dilatation, high sensitivity c-r...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Chinese medical journal     Volume:  126     ISSN:  0366-6999     ISO Abbreviation:  Chin. Med. J.     Publication Date:  2013 Jun 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2013-06-17     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7513795     Medline TA:  Chin Med J (Engl)     Country:  China    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  2049-53     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Radiology, Hospital Sultan Ismail, Mount Austin, 81100 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Reliability and validity of the Chinese version of the Scale for Assessment and Rating of Ataxia.
Next Document:  High frequency of regulatory T cells among HIV type 1-infected men who have sex with men correlates ...