Document Detail


Utility of biofeedback for the daytime syndrome of urinary frequency and urgency of childhood.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  11306409     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVES: To evaluate in a preliminary study the utility of biofeedback for the treatment of the daytime syndrome of urinary frequency and urgency of childhood, a benign, self-limited condition with symptoms that can last for months or years. Observation is a commonly recommended approach to this syndrome because medications and other forms of therapy are often not effective. METHODS: During a 2-year period, 89 children (34 boys and 55 girls) presented with this syndrome. Patient age ranged from 4 to 11 years, and duration of symptoms ranged from 1 to 38 months. All children were evaluated with a history, physical examination, urinalysis and culture, and renal and bladder ultrasound scanning. After the evaluation, the parents were offered either observation or surface patch electromyography biofeedback for the problem. RESULTS: Overall, 84 parents (94.3%) selected biofeedback for their child. After 1 month of biofeedback, 34.5% of children were able to achieve a 2 to 4-hour voiding interval. After 2 to 4 months of biofeedback, another 51.2% of patients experienced the same improvement. Overall, 85.7% of children who underwent biofeedback had symptom improvement. In 14.3% of children, no symptom improvement was noted after 4 months of biofeedback and these children were considered nonresponders. CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study suggest that biofeedback may be a treatment option for this disorder and warrants further investigation.
Authors:
D B Glazier; M K Ankem; V Ferlise; M Gazi; J G Barone
Related Documents :
6462809 - Grading of vesicoureteral reflux by radionuclide cystography.
3806289 - Association of lipid-laden alveolar macrophages and gastroesophageal reflux in children.
7396089 - Gastroesophageal fundoplication for the management of chronic pulmonary disease in chil...
2405189 - Follicular cystitis in girls with untreated asymptomatic or covert bacteriuria.
18072019 - 48-hour wireless oesophageal ph-monitoring in children: are two days better than one?
9072629 - Outcome analysis of vesicoureteral reflux in children with myelodysplasia.
2415209 - Identification of language-impaired children on the basis of rapid perception and produ...
835539 - Myocarditis in juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.
11039629 - Oral health status of 12-year-old schoolchildren in the province of kadiogo, burkina faso.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Urology     Volume:  57     ISSN:  1527-9995     ISO Abbreviation:  Urology     Publication Date:  2001 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2001-04-18     Completed Date:  2001-05-21     Revised Date:  2009-11-19    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0366151     Medline TA:  Urology     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  791-3; discussion 793-4     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Division of Urology, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Activities of Daily Living
Biofeedback, Psychology / methods*
Child
Child, Preschool
Electromyography
Female
Follow-Up Studies
Humans
Male
Retrospective Studies
Urination Disorders / therapy*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Hypospadias: a contemporary epidemiologic assessment.
Next Document:  A fishnet gantry for pediatric extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy on the Sonolith 3000.