Document Detail


Using vital sign flow sheets can help to identify neoplastic fever and other possible causes in oncology patients: a retrospective observational study.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20598848     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
CONTEXT: It is important to determine the etiology of fever in cancer patients. Such patients often undergo extensive laboratory and radiographic investigations and prolonged anti-infective therapy that are time- and resource- consuming, risk drug toxicity, and postpone systemic chemotherapy.
OBJECTIVES: To investigate neoplastic fever (NF) patterns from vital sign flow sheets.
METHODS: Between September 1997 and February 2009, data on 150 consecutive hospitalized patients with advanced or metastatic solid tumors documented to have NF were retrospectively collected. Sixty patients with sepsis were used as a comparison group.
RESULTS: All patients with NF demonstrated intermittent fever patterns. Peak body temperature was 39.0+/-0.6 degrees C (38.0-40.8 degrees C). Baseline pulse rates in 139 (93%) patients showed no increase except during febrile periods. The remaining 11 (7%) patients had transiently elevated baseline pulse rates at the time of cessation of postchemotherapy dexamethasone. Once-daily fever spike patterns occurred in 108 (72%) patients. Fever spikes were most commonly found at 9 am (42%) and 5 pm (37%). Twice-daily fever spike patterns were noted in the 42 (28%) remaining patients. In the comparison group, baseline pulse rate elevated in all patients during febrile periods and 20 (33%) showed intermittent fever patterns.
CONCLUSION: We conclude that the NF pattern is characterized by intermittent fever without an obvious increase in baseline pulse rate except during febrile periods. Knowing NF patterns from vital sign flow sheets can help identify NF and other possible causes of fever in oncology patients.
Authors:
Chuang-Chi Liaw; Jen-Sheng Huang; Jen-Shi Chen; John W C Chang; Hsien-Kun Chang; Chi-Ting Liau
Related Documents :
18057178 - Biliary tract infection and bacteraemia: presentation, structural abnormalities, causat...
8615468 - Constituent analysis may permit improved diagnosis of intra-abdominal abscess.
16790978 - Frequency and effects of bacterial infection in children with influenza under oseltamiv...
2959198 - Prospective randomized clinical trial of teicoplanin for empiric combined antibiotic th...
22228568 - Immune-mediated diseases and immunodeficiencies associated with thymic epithelial neopl...
3790438 - Generalized pustular psoriasis precipitated by trazodone in the treatment of depression.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2010-07-03
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of pain and symptom management     Volume:  40     ISSN:  1873-6513     ISO Abbreviation:  J Pain Symptom Manage     Publication Date:  2010 Aug 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-08-13     Completed Date:  2010-11-22     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8605836     Medline TA:  J Pain Symptom Manage     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  256-65     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
Crown Copyright (c) 2010. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Affiliation:
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang-Gung University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan. e102309@adm.cgmh.org.tw
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Female
Fever / diagnosis*,  etiology*
Humans
Inpatients
Male
Middle Aged
Neoplasms / complications*
Retrospective Studies
Vital Signs*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  [Biological rhythms for anaesthesia and intensive care].
Next Document:  Randomized clinical trial on the effects of adenosine 5'-triphosphate infusions on quality of life, ...