Document Detail


Urinary exosomal WT1 in childhood nephrotic syndrome.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22076591     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: Recently, urinary exosomal WT1 has been proposed as a novel biomarker for simple podocyte injury. We investigated urinary exosomal WT1 to confirm its role as a non-invasive biomarker for predicting steroid responsiveness or renal pathological conditions in patients with idiopathic nephrotic syndrome (NS). CASE DIAGNOSIS: Forty children with active NS were recruited. Twenty-eight (70%) were steroid-sensitive, including 3 with minimal change NS (MCNS) and 1 with focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS). The remaining 12 (30%) were steroid-resistant, including 8 with FSGS and 4 with MCNS. Urinary exosomes were isolated by a differential centrifugation method, and WT1 was measured by Western blot analysis. RESULTS: WT1 was detected in 25 patients (62.5%). There was no significant difference in the proportion of the patients with a detectable amount of WT1 according to steroid responsiveness or renal pathological condition, the amount of WT1 showed no significant difference according to steroid responsiveness or renal pathological condition, and there was no significant difference in the amount of proteinuria between patients with or without detectable WT1. CONCLUSIONS: Urinary exosomal WT1 was detected in some patients with NS. However, its role as an appropriate biomarker in childhood NS was not verified in this study.
Authors:
Hyunkyung Lee; Kyoung Hee Han; Se Eun Lee; Seong Heon Kim; Hee Gyung Kang; Hae Il Cheong
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2011-11-11
Journal Detail:
Title:  Pediatric nephrology (Berlin, Germany)     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1432-198X     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2011 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-11-14     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8708728     Medline TA:  Pediatr Nephrol     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Department of Pediatrics, Seoul National University Children's Hospital, 101 Daehak-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-744, Korea.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Expression of Seed Dormancy in Grain Sorghum Lines with Contrasting Pre-Harvest Sprouting Behavior I...
Next Document:  Evaluating the "Greenness" of chemical processes and products in the pharmaceutical industry-a green...