Document Detail


Ultrasonic anatomy of equine ovaries.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  16725897     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
A linear-array ultrasound scanner with a 5-MHz transducer was evaluated for studying follicular and luteal status in mares, and the ultrasonic properties of equine ovaries were characterized. Follicular diameters were estimated in vivo and after removing and slicing six ovaries. Correlation coefficients between the two kinds of determinations were 0.91 for number of follicles >/=2 mm in diameter and 0.95 for diameter of largest follicle. The ovaries of five mares were examined daily until all mares had been examined from three days before an ovulation to three days after the next ovulation. There was a significant difference among days for diameter of largest follicle and second largest follicle and for number of follicles 2-5 mm, 16-20 mm, and >20 mm. Differences seemed to be caused by the presence of many 2- to 5-mm follicles during early diestrus, initiation of growth of large follicles at mid-cycle, selective accelerated growth of an ovulatory follicle beginning five days before ovulation, and regression of large nonovulatory follicles a few days before ovulation. In one of the five mares, the corpus luteum was identified throughout the interovulatory interval, and the corresponding corpus albicans was identified for three days after the second ovulation. In the other four mares, the corpus luteum was last identified an average of 16 days after ovulation or five days before the next ovulation. In a blind study, the location of the corpus luteum (left or right ovary) as determined by ultrasonography agreed with a previous determination of side of ovulation by palpation in 88% of 40 mares on days 0-14. In the remaining 12% and in all of 12 estrous mares, the location was recorded as uncertain. The ultrasound instrument was judged effective for monitoring and evaluating follicles and corpora lutea.
Authors:
O J Ginther; R A Pierson
Related Documents :
24581587 - Enhancement of maternal recognition of pregnancy with parthenogenetic embryos in bovine...
11113167 - An overnight chill induces a delayed inhibition of photosynthesis at midday in mango (m...
17335787 - Desialylation of core type 1 o-glycan in the equine embryonic capsule coincides with im...
10844197 - Post-breeding endometritis in the mare.
23159297 - Limitations in qualitative point of care hcg tests for detecting early pregnancy.
15846507 - Glucocorticoid programming of adult disease.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Theriogenology     Volume:  21     ISSN:  0093-691X     ISO Abbreviation:  Theriogenology     Publication Date:  1984 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2006-05-26     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0421510     Medline TA:  Theriogenology     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  471-83     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Department of Veterinary Science University of Wisconsin Madison, WI 53706 USA.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Grant Support
ID/Acronym/Agency:
11489//Canadian Institutes of Health Research

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Collection and transfer of multiple embryos in the mare.
Next Document:  Transrectal real-time ultrasound scanning of the cow reproductive tract.