Document Detail


Two cases of toxic methanol ingestion, one leading to brain death: case reports and a brief review.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22404063     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Two patients were admitted sequentially to a rural emergency department, then transferred to a tertiary intensive care unit, both with serious methanol poisoning from home-brewed alcohol. They were intubated, mechanically ventilated, and treated with intravenous and nasogastric ethanol and continuous venovenous haemodiafiltration. Although quite similar in presentation, metabolic complications and therapy, one patient became brain dead due to severe cerebral oedema, while the other was discharged without any significant complications. Their course highlights the importance of early treatment of non-ethanol alcohol poisoning.
Authors:
Arvind Rajamani
Related Documents :
15667883 - Reconfigured sigmoid colon neourethra: substitution of refractory posterior urethral st...
12418773 - Juvenile polyposis of the colon: sonographic diagnosis.
10097353 - Analysis of blunt trauma injuries: vertical deceleration versus horizontal deceleration...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Critical care and resuscitation : journal of the Australasian Academy of Critical Care Medicine     Volume:  14     ISSN:  1441-2772     ISO Abbreviation:  Crit Care Resusc     Publication Date:  2012 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-03-12     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  100888170     Medline TA:  Crit Care Resusc     Country:  Australia    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  59     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Nepean Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia. rrarvind@yahoo.com.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Relationship between illness severity scores in acute kidney injury.
Next Document:  A case of methylene chloride poisoning due to ingestion of home-distilled alcohol and potential new ...