Document Detail


Two-year follow-up of contrast stasis within the sac in unruptured aneurysm coil embolization: progressive thrombosis or enlargement?
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20634307     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Process    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: The fate of contrast stasis within an aneurysmal sac after coiling has not been established. We followed and evaluated the potential risks of recanalization of unruptured aneurysms embolized with BPCs for 2 years.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: A total of 301 unruptured aneurysms in 252 patients were treated with BPCs. Contrast stasis was observed on initial postembolization angiograms in 104 (34.6%) of these aneurysms. For follow-up, skull images by an angiographic unit (at 3, 9, 15, and 21 months), CE-MRA including TOF source images (at 6, 12, and 18 months), and DSA (at 24 months) were used.
RESULTS: In 89 (85.6%) of the 104 aneurysms with contrast stasis, the stasis disappeared on 6-month MRAs and occlusions remained unchanged without recanalization for 2 years. In the remaining 15 (14.4%), recanalization occurred during follow-up. The presence of contrast stasis was not found to be associated with the obliteration rate (P = .641) or packing attenuation (aneurysms without contrast stasis 30.7% ± 11.18 versus aneurysms with contrast stasis 33.0% ± 12.11, P = .113). Contrast stasis was not found to be a risk factor for recanalization (15/104 [14.4%] versus 29/197 [14.7%], P = 1.000).
CONCLUSIONS: Contrast stasis is a benign angiographic finding that can disappear within 6 months on follow-up MRA. In addition, contrast stasis was not found to be associated with a low obliteration rate or packing attenuation or to be a risk factor for recanalization. The present study shows that aneurysms with contrast stasis on initial postembolization angiograms are no more likely to recanalize than aneurysms without contrast stasis.
Authors:
G Hwang; C Jung; S H Sheen; H Park; H S Kang; S H Lee; C W Oh; Y S Chung; M H Han; O K Kwon
Related Documents :
20657317 - Postoperative assessment of clipped aneurysms with 64-slice computerized tomography ang...
12015847 - Complementary use of computed tomographic angiography in treatment planning for posteri...
1738027 - Aneurysms arising from the proximal (a1) segment of the anterior cerebral artery. a stu...
7388317 - Popliteal aneurysm: sinister harbinger of sudden catastrophe.
3827977 - Atherosclerosis in the hypercholesterolemic hare. comparison of coronary artery lesions...
9195237 - A comparison of the dual lumen and coaxial catheters for temporary hemodialysis access.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't     Date:  2010-07-15
Journal Detail:
Title:  AJNR. American journal of neuroradiology     Volume:  31     ISSN:  1936-959X     ISO Abbreviation:  AJNR Am J Neuroradiol     Publication Date:  2010 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-11-22     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8003708     Medline TA:  AJNR Am J Neuroradiol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1929-34     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Neurosurgery, Chuncheon Sacred Heart Hospital, Hallym University, Chuncheon, Korea.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Solitaire flow-restoration device for treatment of acute ischemic stroke: safety and recanalization ...
Next Document:  Sonographic differentiation of partially cystic thyroid nodules: a prospective study.