Document Detail


Traumatic aortic rupture: 30 years of experience.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21549915     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: To evaluate outcome differences in open surgical and endovascular treatment of traumatic aortic rupture (TAR) over a period of 30 years.
METHODS: We retrospectively reviewed the diagnostic workup and management of all patients and compared outcome before and since the era of endovascular therapy.
RESULTS: Between 1980 and 2010, 72 patients with a mean age of 38 years (range, 14-76) were treated for TAR. Of these, 48 (67%) were treated by open surgery and the remaining 24 (33%) by thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR). In the open surgery group, mortality was 16.7% and paraplegia occurred in 8.3% of patients, whereas mortality was 4.2% and no paraplegia occurred in the TEVAR group. Diagnostic workup consisted of chest X-ray and arteriography in the early period, whereas computed tomographic scan and transesophageal echography were preferred in the more recent period.
CONCLUSIONS: Although our results could not reach statistical significance, mainly because of the gross oversizing of the open group in comparison with the TEVAR group, TEVAR has introduced a less invasive era in the treatment of TAR and has become the therapy of choice. The diagnostic workup has evolved from chest X-ray and arteriography to computed tomographic scanning and even transesophageal echography.
Authors:
Malliet Cindy; Houthoofd Sabrina; Daenens Kim; Maleux Geert; Fourneau Inge
Related Documents :
21297515 - Is there a difference in clinical outcomes, inflammation, and hypermetabolism between s...
21392105 - Prevention of post-ercp pancreatitis by epinephrine sprayed on the papilla.
9585445 - One-stage coronary bypass and abdominal aortic aneurysm repair
22150035 - Three months of rifapentine and isoniazid for latent tuberculosis infection.
3198005 - Recurrent bleeding from cutaneous venous collaterals in portal hypertension.
2765845 - Endoscopic sphincterotomy for bile duct stones in patients with intact gallbladders.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Annals of vascular surgery     Volume:  25     ISSN:  1615-5947     ISO Abbreviation:  Ann Vasc Surg     Publication Date:  2011 May 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-05-09     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8703941     Medline TA:  Ann Vasc Surg     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  474-80     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
Copyright © 2011. Published by Elsevier Inc.
Affiliation:
Department of Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Leuven, Leuven, Belgium.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Is thromboangiitis obliterans presentation influenced by cannabis addiction?
Next Document:  Is Use of a Continuous Autotransfusion System Beneficial in Emergency Abdominal Aortic Aneursym (AAA...