Document Detail


Traumatic facial nerve palsy in newborns: is it always iatrogenic?
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20387190     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
We sought to report an updated incidence, risk factors, and outcome of traumatic facial palsy (TFP) in newborn infants born at King Abdulaziz Medical City (KAMC), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. We performed a 12-year retrospective study at KAMC. The records of infants with the diagnosis of TFP during the study period were reviewed and compared with 148 healthy term infants born during the same study period. Among 83,067 infants delivered between January 1994 and December 2005, 29 infants were diagnosed with TFP for an incidence of 0.03%. Forceps delivery and maternal primiparity were the only significant risk factors for TFP. Only 7 (24.1%) of these infants were delivered by cesarean section. The other 22 cases of TFP (75.9%) were delivered without any forceps application. Almost all infants (93%) with TFP had spontaneous recovery within 2 months. Only one child suffered from permanent facial weakness when he was last examined at the age of 12 years. Although forceps delivery was considered the most significant risk factor, currently most of the cases occur spontaneously without forceps application. The majority of infants with TFP will recover spontaneously within the first 2 months of life.
Authors:
Khalil Al Tawil; Noura Saleem; Hanan Kadri; Mohamed Talal Rifae; Hesham Tawakol
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2010-04-12
Journal Detail:
Title:  American journal of perinatology     Volume:  27     ISSN:  1098-8785     ISO Abbreviation:  Am J Perinatol     Publication Date:  2010 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-09-20     Completed Date:  2010-12-20     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8405212     Medline TA:  Am J Perinatol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  711-3     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
© Thieme Medical Publishers.
Affiliation:
Department of Pediatrics, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. mail: tawilkio@yahoo.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Cesarean Section* / adverse effects
Child
Cohort Studies
Delivery, Obstetric / adverse effects
Facial Paralysis* / etiology
Female
Humans
Infant
Infant, Newborn
Paralysis, Obstetric* / etiology
Parity*
Pregnancy
Remission, Spontaneous
Retrospective Studies
Risk Factors
Saudi Arabia

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Is short stature associated with short cervical length?
Next Document:  [Standardised voice diagnostics--first experiences with a computer-aided voice strain test].