Document Detail


Three-Year Results of Repaired Barlow Mitral Valves via Right Minithoracotomy versus Median Sternotomy in a Randomized Trial.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  24714349     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Objectives: To clarify whether the results of repair of a complex mitral lesion (Barlow valve) at the intermediate-term follow-up are independent of the mode of surgical access [minithoracotomy vs. median sternotomy (MS)]. Methods: In a prospective randomized study of mitral repair for Barlow disease using either a minimally invasive (MI) approach or MS, we achieved an average follow-up of 3 years (echocardiography, physical examination and quality of life). Mitral repair was achieved with polytetrafluoroethylene chordal implantation for both leaflets. Results: Both groups included 80 patients. Mechanical ventilation time and intensive care unit and hospital stay were shorter in the MI group (p = 0.01, p = 0.013 and p = 0.02, respectively). During the follow-up, 5 patients in each group (6.25%) displayed mild mitral regurgitation, while 2 patients in each group (2.5%) developed recurrent regurgitation graded as at least moderate/severe. The rate of mitral reoperation was 2.5% in the MI group and 1.25% in the MS group (p = 0.9). The overall follow-up mortality was 3.75% in both the MI and the MS groups. Conclusions: The 3-year results of repair of Barlow valves were satisfactory irrespective of the approach used to repair the valve. The advantages of MI surgery can be achieved in patients with mitral Barlow disease without concerns over the durability of repair. © 2014 S. Karger AG, Basel.
Authors:
Giuseppe Nasso; Raffaele Bonifazi; Vito Romano; Francesco Bartolomucci; Giuseppe Rosano; Francesco Massari; Khalil Fattouch; Giuseppe Del Prete; Graziano Riccioni; Mauro Del Giglio; Giuseppe Speziale
Related Documents :
24957569 - Intermediate-length colonoscope needs more training duration than long-length colonoscope.
10688219 - Long term results of lateral pancreaticojejunostomy for chronic alcoholic pancreatitis.
20525559 - A prospective study on radiofrequency ablation locally advanced pancreatic cancer.
23417369 - Multidimensional voice outcomes after type i gore-tex thyroplasty in patients with nonp...
17629079 - Comparative study of anastomosis in pancreaticogastrostomy and pancreaticojejunostomy a...
23929509 - Outcome after modified putti-platt procedure for recurrent traumatic anterior shoulder ...
21610389 - Treatment of traumatic internal carotid artery pseudoaneurysms with the willis covered ...
11094369 - Evaluation of the modified maxillary protractor applied to class iii malocclusion with ...
9343129 - Timing of surgery in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage: rebleeding is s...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2014-4-5
Journal Detail:
Title:  Cardiology     Volume:  128     ISSN:  1421-9751     ISO Abbreviation:  Cardiology     Publication Date:  2014 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2014-4-9     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  1266406     Medline TA:  Cardiology     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  97-105     Citation Subset:  -    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  MicroRNA theragnostics for the clinical management of multiple myeloma.
Next Document:  Comparison of two doses of elemental iron in the treatment of latent iron deficiency: efficacy, side...