Document Detail

Survey of institutions with multiple pharmacy residency programs.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23413166     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
PURPOSE: The processes used by institutions to manage and coordinate multiple pharmacy residency programs were evaluated.
METHODS: An 18-question survey was developed. The survey was distributed via e-mail to all University HealthSystem Consortium (UHC) member institutions. The survey request was e-mailed to the pharmacy director of each hospital. Respondents submitted their information in an unblinded process. The survey was completed between May 31, 2011, and June 29, 2011. Respondents who indicated that their institution did not have four or more residency programs did not complete the remaining survey questions. Descriptive statistics were used to analyze survey responses.
RESULTS: Of the 236 surveys distributed, 43 (18%) were completed. Of these, 28 had at least four unique residency programs. The majority of specific duties related to residencies (i.e., budgeting, project development, compliance with residency standards, scheduling of rotations and operations, and residency showcase preparation) were primarily the responsibility of the residency program director (RPD), residency activities coordinator, chief resident, or department chair or director. All of the programs surveyed had a residency program advisory committee (RAC). A majority of the programs (96%) had only one advisory committee overseeing both their postgraduate year 1 and postgraduate year 2 programs. The majority of respondents (60%) reported utilizing part-time administrative support for the residency programs; the remaining 40% reported no administrative support.
CONCLUSION: UHC organizations with multiple pharmacy residency programs placed the majority of the responsibility for programs on the RPD, residency activities coordinator (where that model was used), and the pharmacy department chair. All programs utilized an RAC to govern the residency programs at their sites.
Charles E Daniels; Natasha N Pettit
Related Documents :
6874966 - Assessment of a program's effectiveness in selecting individuals "at risk" for problems...
21505616 - Community implementation and translation of kaiser permanente's cardiovascular disease ...
16544866 - The cash and counseling demonstration and evaluation: focus groups inform design of a c...
24988406 - Experience of cyclone gonu in the islamic republic of iran: lessons learned.
9726066 - Chiropractic radiologists: a survey of demographics, abilities, educational attitudes a...
6489156 - Drug addicts seeking treatment after the iranian revolution: a clinic-based study.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  American journal of health-system pharmacy : AJHP : official journal of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists     Volume:  70     ISSN:  1535-2900     ISO Abbreviation:  Am J Health Syst Pharm     Publication Date:  2013 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2013-02-15     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9503023     Medline TA:  Am J Health Syst Pharm     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  431-4     Citation Subset:  IM    
Charles E. Daniels, B.S.Pharm., PH.D., is Pharmacist-in-Chief and Associate Dean for Professional Practice, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine

Previous Document:  Warfarin anticoagulation after total hip or total knee replacement: clinical and resource-utilizatio...
Next Document:  Stability of stock and diluted rituximab.