Document Detail


Surgical management of massive pulmonary embolism.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  642569     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Between 1972 and 1976, 24 patients have been treated by open pulmonary embolectomy with the aid of cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB). In 17 (71 percent) acute pulmonary embolism occurred 3 to 60 days after a surgical procedure. The remaining seven (29 percent) patients had chronic medical diseases. The interval between clinical manifestation of acute pulmonary embolism and the performance of open embolectomy ranged from 8 to 36 hours. The definitive diagnosis in all patients was made by pulmonary arteriography. Candidates for pulmonary embolectomy were selected by assessment of hemodynamic stuides: shock, arterial Po2 less than 65 mm. Hg, acidosis, pulmonary artery pressure higher than 20 to 30 mm. Hg, and central venous pressure elevated (patients in Class III or IV according to the Greenfield classification). The definitive indication for embolectomy was occlusion of the main pulmonary artery of more than 50 percent as well as occlusion of the right or left pulmonary artery. Of the seven patients operated upon between 1973 and 1974, three (43 percent) died in the early postoperative period. Between 1975 and 1976 the operative mortality rate in 17 patients was 23 percent (four patients). Our results show that prompt diagnosis of acute massive pulmonary embolism and better selection of patients may improve significantly the survival rate after open pulmonary embolectomy with CPB.
Authors:
A Tschirkov; E Krause; O Elert; P Satter
Related Documents :
6766619 - Experimental determination of flow patterns of gelfoam emboli: safety implications.
2850639 - Malignant fibrous histiocytoma mimicking pulmonary embolism.
8711659 - Pulmonary capillary blood volume in patients with probable pulmonary kaposi's sarcoma.
3228769 - Primary pulmonary artery sarcoma mimicking pulmonary thromboembolism.
3420509 - Balloon embolectomy catheter shear force gauge.
3792359 - Behçet's disease: cardiac and pulmonary involvement.
15785179 - Endovascular therapies for vascular disease.
15923119 - Comparison of influence of esophageal carcinoma operations on pulmonary function.
24399129 - Successful coil embolization of circumflex iliac artery pseudoaneurysms following parac...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery     Volume:  75     ISSN:  0022-5223     ISO Abbreviation:  J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg.     Publication Date:  1978 May 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1978-06-28     Completed Date:  1978-06-28     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0376343     Medline TA:  J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  730-3     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Cardiopulmonary Bypass*
Female
Humans
Male
Methods
Middle Aged
Postoperative Complications / mortality,  surgery
Pulmonary Artery / radiography
Pulmonary Embolism / mortality,  radiography,  surgery*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Use of tolazoline in newborn infants with diaphragmatic hernia and severe cardiopulmonary disease. A...
Next Document:  The conducting tissues in primitive ventricle with outlet chamber. Two different possibilities.