Document Detail


Surgery for refractory glaucoma.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  8985544     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
PURPOSE: To determine the surgical outcome of mitomycin trabeculectomy in patients with refractory glaucoma. METHODS: Sixty-six eyes of 52 patients with refractory glaucoma underwent mitomycin trabeculectomy. Mitomycin was applied for five minutes only once during trabeculectomy. The follow-up period was six to 61 months. RESULTS: Cumulative success probability was calculated using Kaplan-Meier life-table analysis assuming the cut-off postoperative IOP to be 20 mmHg or IOP reduction by at least 20% in eyes with preoperative IOP 24 mmHg. At the end of 61-month follow-up the success probability was 80% +/- 6% without postoperative ocular hypotensive medication (complete success) and was 95% +/- 3% regardless of postoperative antiglaucoma medication (overall success), respectively. CONCLUSION: The data suggest that mitomycin trabeculectomy is efficacious in reducing IOP in patients with refractory glaucoma.
Authors:
Y Kitazawa; T Yamamoto; A Sawada; Y Hagiwara
Related Documents :
23389804 - Is cervical disc arthroplasty superior to fusion for treatment of symptomatic cervical ...
24522384 - Long-term outcome of displaced, transverse, noncomminuted olecranon fractures.
9427984 - Mitomycin-c in congenital glaucoma.
16910864 - Vitreous concentration of topically applied brimonidine-purite 0.15%.
20081064 - An evaluation of the early pharmacodynamic response after simultaneous initiation of wa...
20178034 - Lack of benefit of accumbens/capsular deep brain stimulation in a patient with both tic...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Australian and New Zealand journal of ophthalmology     Volume:  24     ISSN:  0814-9763     ISO Abbreviation:  Aust N Z J Ophthalmol     Publication Date:  1996 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1997-03-04     Completed Date:  1997-03-04     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8505423     Medline TA:  Aust N Z J Ophthalmol     Country:  AUSTRALIA    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  327-32     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Ophthalmology, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Aged
Chemotherapy, Adjuvant
Female
Follow-Up Studies
Glaucoma / drug therapy,  surgery*
Humans
Intraocular Pressure
Life Tables
Male
Middle Aged
Mitomycin / administration & dosage*
Nucleic Acid Synthesis Inhibitors / administration & dosage*
Postoperative Complications
Risk Factors
Trabeculectomy*
Treatment Outcome
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Nucleic Acid Synthesis Inhibitors; 50-07-7/Mitomycin

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Cost effectiveness of cataract surgery. A comparison of conventional extracapsular surgery and phaco...
Next Document:  Mobile retinal photography. A means of screening for diabetic retinopathy in aboriginal communities.