Document Detail


Sudden infant death syndrome/unexplained infant deaths in Sri Lanka.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  19051670     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), also known as 'unexplained deaths under one year', is rarely reported in Sri Lanka as a cause of post-neonatal mortality. The aim of this study was to assess the opinion of paediatricians and pathologists regarding the reasons for this rarity. Members of the Colleges of Paediatricians, Pathologists and Forensic Pathologists who met the inclusion criteria were selected as the study population. A brief self-administered questionnaire was used for data collection. Results were analysed using standard statistical methods. The sample consisted of 50 paediatricians, 15 histopathologists and seven forensic pathologists with a mean career span of 26.3 years. SIDS was reportedly diagnosed by only nine (12.5%) of the respondents while the other 63 (87.5%) have never encountered SIDS during their careers. Of the nine doctors, three (33.3%) based their diagnosis on autopsy findings but histological and toxicological studies had not been performed. The other six doctors (66.6%) relied on clinical history alone. Twenty-five doctors (34.7%) believed that keeping babies under close adult supervision was the reason SIDS is so rare in Sri Lanka. Twenty paediatricians (40%) and four histopathologists (26.7%) agreed with this view while five forensic pathologists (71.4%), believed the reason was under-diagnosis. In conclusion, the majority of doctors believe the most likely reason for the rarity of SIDS in Sri Lanka is that babies are kept under close adult supervision, in comparison with developed countries. By contrast, most forensic pathologists are of the opinion that SIDS is under-diagnosed.
Authors:
Ravindra Fernando; Nilukshi Abeyasinghe
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Medicine, science, and the law     Volume:  48     ISSN:  0025-8024     ISO Abbreviation:  Med Sci Law     Publication Date:  2008 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2008-12-04     Completed Date:  2009-01-08     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0400721     Medline TA:  Med Sci Law     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  325-8     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. ravindrafernando@hotmail.co.uk
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Attitude of Health Personnel*
Cross-Sectional Studies
Humans
Infant
Questionnaires
Sri Lanka / epidemiology
Sudden Infant Death / diagnosis,  epidemiology*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Should doctors who make clinical errors be charged with manslaughter? A survey of medical profession...
Next Document:  Drowning deaths in Mthatha area of South Africa.