Document Detail


Sudden cardiac death: the seven questions all cardiologists must answer to.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21147588     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The implantable cardioverter desfribilator (ICD), has changed the view related to prevention and treatment of sudden cardiac arrest (SCA). However, some issues are still matter of discussion. Answers for the main questions are briefly exposed. 1. According to worldwide statistics, the manual incidence of SCA varies between 750 and 100 people per million inhabitants. 2. Nearly 25% of SCA are related to individuals with severe heart disease and low ejection fraction, but the remaining 75% there are scare or no antecedents at all, plus normal left ventricular function. 3. In subjects with history of severe heart disease, the risk of SCA prevention and cannot replace the ICD indication. 5. Except in particular cases, EP testing is not the right tool for risk stratification of SCA. 6. In the population with minor or without antecedents of heart disease, family history of SCA below 40 years old, or some features in the ECG (delta wave, long QT interval, etc), would be the unique sign of risk for developing SCA. 7. Although inappropriate shocks and eventually myocardial injury due to shock theraphy may occur, the ICD still is the best therapy for prevention and treatment of SCA.
Authors:
Raúl Garillo
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Archivos de cardiologia de Mexico     Volume:  80     ISSN:  1405-9940     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:    2010 Jul-Sep
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-12-14     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101126728     Medline TA:  Arch Cardiol Mex     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  SPA     Pagination:  199-204     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Cardiólogo Universitario, Director del Curso Superior de Electrocardiología de la Universidad Católica Argentina. Education and Training Consultant, Medtronic Latin America.
Vernacular Title:
Muerte súbita cardiaca: Las siete preguntas para las cuales todo cardiólogo debe tener respuesta.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Humanitarian care of the heart. Celebrating World Heart Day: "Wellness in the workplace"
Next Document:  Improved Pressure-Frequency Sensing Subxiphoid Pericardial Access System: Performance Characteristic...