Document Detail


Suboptimal outcome following sacral nerve stimulation for faecal incontinence.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20981753     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND:: The aim of the study was to identify the incidence of suboptimal therapeutic responses and adverse events associated with sacral nerve stimulation (SNS) for faecal incontinence, and to determine their influence on treatment outcome. METHODS:: Prospectively collected data from 176 patients who underwent SNS were reviewed retrospectively. Patient variables and reportable events were analysed by binary regression to identify the predictors of treatment outcome. RESULTS:: Overall, 592 reportable events were recorded from 150 patients (85·2 per cent) at a median of 11 (interquartile range (i.q.r.) 4-26) months. Loss of efficacy (212 events, 87 patients), lack of efficacy (186 events, 68 patients) and pain/discomfort (126 events, 67 patients) accounted for 88·5 per cent of reportable events. Loss of efficacy (odds ratio (OR) 2·52, 95 per cent confidence interval 1·33 to 4·79; P = 0·007), lack of efficacy (OR 2·80, 1·46 to 5·36; P = 0·002) and pain in the leg (OR 4·07, 1·34 to 12·33; P = 0·013) were predictors of unfavourable outcome in the medium to long term. At a median follow-up of 33 (i.q.r. 20-52) months, 31 patients (17·6 per cent) had explantation of the device or discontinued treatment. CONCLUSION:: Suboptimal therapeutic responses and adverse events are not uncommon when SNS is employed for faecal incontinence. They have a negative impact on treatment outcome. Copyright © 2010 British Journal of Surgery Society Ltd. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Authors:
Y Maeda; L Lundby; S Buntzen; S Laurberg
Related Documents :
23122873 - The potential of accelerometers in the evaluation of stability of total knee arthroplasty.
4004383 - Reoperations for esophagitis following failed antireflux procedures.
15992093 - Efavirenz: shifting the haart paradigm in adult hiv-1 infection.
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2010-10-27
Journal Detail:
Title:  The British journal of surgery     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1365-2168     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2010 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-10-28     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0372553     Medline TA:  Br J Surg     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Surgical Research Unit, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Extended right hemihepatectomy for gallbladder carcinoma involving the hepatic hilum.
Next Document:  Influence of MT effects on T(2) quantification with 3D balanced steady-state free precession imaging...