Document Detail


Spinocerebellar ataxia type 1 and Machado-Joseph disease: incidence of CAG expansions among adult-onset ataxia patients from 311 families with dominant, recessive, or sporadic ataxia.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  7668288     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The ataxias are a complex group of diseases with both environmental and genetic causes. Among the autosomal dominant forms of ataxia the genes for two, spinocerebellar ataxia type 1 (SCA1) and Machado-Joseph disease (MJD), have been isolated. In both of these disorders the molecular basis of disease is the expansion of an unstable CAG trinucleotide repeat. To assess the frequency of the SCA1 and MJD trinucleotide repeat expansions among individuals diagnosed with ataxia we have collected DNA from individuals representing 311 families with adult-onset ataxia of unknown etiology and screened these samples for trinucleotide repeat expansions within the SCA1 and MJD genes. Within this group there are 149 families with dominantly inherited ataxia. Of these, 3% had SCA1 trinucleotide repeat expansions, whereas 21% were positive for the MJD trinucleotide expansion. Thus, together SCA1 and MJD represent 24% of the autosomal dominant ataxias in our group, and the frequency of MJD is substantially greater than that of SCA1. For the 57 patients with MJD trinucleotide repeat expansions, a strong inverse correlation between CAG repeat size and age at onset was observed (r = -.838). Among the MJD patients, the normal and affected ranges of CAG repeat size are 14-40 and 68-82 repeats, respectively. For SCA1 the normal and affected ranges are much closer, containing 19-38 and 40-81 CAG repeats, respectively.
Authors:
L P Ranum; J K Lundgren; L J Schut; M J Ahrens; S Perlman; J Aita; T D Bird; C Gomez; H T Orr
Related Documents :
17855448 - Mtmr13/sbf2-deficient mice: an animal model for cmt4b2.
19799998 - Abnormal mitochondrial dynamics and neurodegenerative diseases.
23011138 - Alternative α-synuclein transcript usage as a convergent mechanism in parkinson's disea...
12401958 - Brain iron metabolism and neurodegenerative disorders.
6721798 - Epizootiology, pathology, and microbiology of an outbreak of urolithiasis in chickens.
11596908 - Coeliac disease, anaemia and pregnancy.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't; Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.    
Journal Detail:
Title:  American journal of human genetics     Volume:  57     ISSN:  0002-9297     ISO Abbreviation:  Am. J. Hum. Genet.     Publication Date:  1995 Sep 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1995-10-12     Completed Date:  1995-10-12     Revised Date:  2009-11-18    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0370475     Medline TA:  Am J Hum Genet     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  603-8     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Neurology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Age of Onset
Gene Frequency
Humans
Machado-Joseph Disease / genetics*
Repetitive Sequences, Nucleic Acid*
Spinocerebellar Degenerations / genetics*
Grant Support
ID/Acronym/Agency:
NS33718-01/NS/NINDS NIH HHS
Comments/Corrections

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Anticipation and instability of IT-15 (CAG)n repeats in parent-offspring pairs with Huntington disea...
Next Document:  Instability of the CGG repeat and expression of the FMR1 protein in a male fragile X patient with a ...