Document Detail


Somatic cell count, electrical conductivity, and serum albumin concentration for detecting bovine mastitis.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  6841753     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Cell concentration, electrical conductivity, and serum albumin concentration of milk were evaluated for predicting infection status of quarters in three herds. Probability of misclassifying quarters was lowest for cell concentration. For discriminating quarters infected with Staphylococcus aureus from quarters free from infection, probability of misclassification for cell concentration ranged from 8 to 20% among herds. For electrical conductivity probability of misclassification ranged between 22 and 32%, whereas for serum albumin the range among herds was from 15 to 48%. Among herds there was also considerable variation of the trait, which minimized the probability of misclassification. Cell concentrations for the three herds were 158, 200, and 251 x 10(3) cells/ml whereas for electrical conductivity counts were 4.6, 5.8, and 6.5 mS/cm. For electrical conductivity and serum albumin comparisons within cow by differences and ratios from different quarters yielded little advantage over absolute estimations. For a single sampling, cell concentration provided the most accurate prediction of quarter infection status. We suggest that 200 x 10(3) cells/ml should be the threshold above which quarters are considered likely to be infected with a major pathogen.
Authors:
R F Sheldrake; G D McGregor; R J Hoare
Related Documents :
12397023 - Mechanism of restriction of normal and cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regula...
3001353 - Temperature-sensitive splicing defect of ts110 moloney murine sarcoma virus is virus en...
24251983 - Osteoblast-osteocyte transformation. a sem densitometric analysis of endosteal appositi...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of dairy science     Volume:  66     ISSN:  0022-0302     ISO Abbreviation:  J. Dairy Sci.     Publication Date:  1983 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1983-06-23     Completed Date:  1983-06-23     Revised Date:  2006-11-15    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  2985126R     Medline TA:  J Dairy Sci     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  548-55     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Animals
Cattle
Cell Count / veterinary
Electric Conductivity
Female
Mastitis, Bovine / diagnosis*
Milk / analysis,  cytology*
Serum Albumin, Bovine / analysis*
Staphylococcal Infections / diagnosis,  veterinary*
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Serum Albumin, Bovine

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Lactation stage, parity, and infection affecting somatic cells, electrical conductivity, and serum a...
Next Document:  Factors affecting performance of Nili-Ravi buffaloes in Pakistan.