Document Detail


Skin conductance variability between and within hospitalised infants at rest.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21041044     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Process    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: Various methods of pain assessment in infants have been trialled in the search for objective, specific, physiologic measures of responses to pain. Skin conductance (SC) measured in the palm of the hand or on the plantar aspect of the foot may be one such measure. SC in these sites reflects the emotional sweating due to sympathetic nerve activity. The skin conductance response (SCR), which results from filling and reabsorption of sweat in the sweat glands, has previously been suggested to be the most sensitive SC parameter of sympathetic nerve activity in response to painful stimulation.
AIM: To study SCRs within and between medically stable hospitalised infants while at rest.
METHODS: SCRs were measured in infants during at least six periods of monitoring in a maximum 48-h period. Behavioural state was recorded throughout the data collection periods.
RESULTS: SC recordings (n=91) from 15 infants during sleep showed that frequency of SCRs varied between 0 and 0.04 SCRs per second (SCRs/s), median 0.002 SCRs/s. 73% of the total variation was within-infant variation, with the remaining 27% of variation due to variation between the mean SCR values of different infants.
CONCLUSION: This pilot study contributes to establishing baseline phasic SC activity in hospitalised infants at rest by measuring SCRs. These data can be used as a reference for future studies to determine the validity and reliability of SC measurement in infants exposed to painful or stressful interventions within a neonatal unit.
Authors:
Ingjerd Røeggen; Hanne Storm; Denise Harrison
Related Documents :
22178204 - Location of airway obstruction in term and preterm infants with laryngomalacia.
2085504 - Expression of the 43 kda papain inhibitor during human fetal skin development.
15656774 - Structure-activity relationships and prediction of the phototoxicity and phototoxic pot...
20527654 - Anaesthetic management of an infant with epidermolysis bullosa undergoing inguinal hern...
9585274 - A comparison of awake versus paralyzed tracheal intubation for infants with pyloric ste...
10873174 - Body water content of extremely preterm infants at birth.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't     Date:  2010-10-30
Journal Detail:
Title:  Early human development     Volume:  87     ISSN:  1872-6232     ISO Abbreviation:  Early Hum. Dev.     Publication Date:  2011 Jan 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-12-20     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7708381     Medline TA:  Early Hum Dev     Country:  Ireland    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  37-42     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
Crown Copyright © 2010. Published by Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.
Affiliation:
Department of Neonatology, The Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria 3052, Australia. ingjerir@studmed.uio.no
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  IgA1 protease contributes to the virulence of Streptococcus suis.
Next Document:  Dementia care in rural and remote settings: a systematic review of formal or paid care.