Document Detail


Significance of abnormal blood pressure response during exercise-induced myocardial dysfunction after recent acute myocardial infarction.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  3591678     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The relation between exercise left ventricular ejection fraction and blood pressure (BP) responses after an acute myocardial infarction (AMI) was investigated. Twenty-eight to 37 days after an uncomplicated AMI, 224 consecutive patients underwent exercise radionuclide angiography in the 40 degrees semisupine position. In 180 patients (group A, 80%), BP increased more than 5 mm Hg every stage; in 44 patients, BP responses were abnormal; in 33 (group B, 15%), BP did not increase during 2 stages; in 11 (group C, 5%), it decreased more than 5 mm Hg after an initial increase. Ejection fraction did not differ significantly among the 3 groups at rest (51 +/- 13 in group A, 50 +/- 18 in group B, 47 +/- 13 in group C [difference not significant]) or at peak exercise (51 +/- 16% in group A, 46 +/- 19% in group B, and 43 +/- 16% in group C, [difference not significant]). Exercise-induced left ventricular failure or hemodynamic decompensation occurred in 22 patients. In these patients, ejection fraction at rest was 44 +/- 19% and decreased to 35 +/- 16% (p less than 0.05) with exercise. Only 9 of these patients (41%) had abnormal BP responses, with the other 13 (59%) showing a normal BP responses. The The 35 patients with abnormal BP responses in the absence of hemodynamic decompensation were asymptomatic, terminating exercise because of fatigue. The ejection fraction at rest and during exercise in these patients was similar to that in patients with normal BP responses.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
Authors:
G Mazzotta; G Scopinaro; M Falcidieno; F Claudiani; E De Caro; R O Bonow; C Vecchio
Related Documents :
6979708 - Preoperative prediction of reversible myocardial asynergy by postexercise radionuclide ...
1597218 - Preserved left ventricular function during supine exercise in patients after orthotopic...
7090988 - Cardiac response to exercise in patients with chronic aortic regurgitation.
7029318 - Left ventricular ejection fraction and its response to therapy in essential hypertension.
22191068 - Progressive resistance exercise and parkinson's disease: a review of potential mechanisms.
1999748 - Inability to demonstrate physiologic correlates of subjective improvement among patient...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The American journal of cardiology     Volume:  59     ISSN:  0002-9149     ISO Abbreviation:  Am. J. Cardiol.     Publication Date:  1987 Jun 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1987-07-21     Completed Date:  1987-07-21     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0207277     Medline TA:  Am J Cardiol     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1256-60     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Angiography
Blood Pressure*
Cardiomyopathies / physiopathology*
Exercise Test* / adverse effects
Female
Heart Diseases / etiology
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Myocardial Infarction / physiopathology*,  radionuclide imaging
Stroke Volume

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Prognostic value of exercise-induced ventricular ectopic activity for mortality after acute myocardi...
Next Document:  Relation of serum total cholesterol and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol percentage to the incid...