Document Detail


The significance of endoleaks in thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20926236     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: Endoleak is one of the rare complications that occur after thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair (TEVAR). The aim of this study was to assess the incidence of endoleaks and the predictive factors for their occurrence, as well as their effect on secondary interventions after TEVAR.
METHODS: Medical and radiological data of all TEVAR procedures performed between 2004 and 2008 were entered prospectively into our database and reviewed retrospectively. Primary endpoints included were the incidence and the type of endoleak, aneurysmal sac expansion, and secondary interventions.
RESULTS: In all, 67 patients (18 women and 49 men; mean age, 67 ± 14 years) were treated consecutively for descending thoracic aortic aneurysms (mean diameter: 69 ± 18 mm) by TEVAR during the observed period, using 83 stent-grafts (11 Cook TX2, 31 Gore TAG, and 41 Medtronic Valiant), with a median follow-up of 27 months (range: 2-64). In 13 of 67 patients, 14 (19.4%) endoleaks were diagnosed, of which 71% (10 of 14) were type I, 29% (4 of 14) were type II, and none were type III. Ten endoleaks (71%) were diagnosed on the first postoperative computed tomographic angiography at 1 month, and the other four (29%) developed later on. Predictive factors for endoleaks on univariate analysis included age (p = 0.04), length of the proximal neck immediately after the left subclavian artery (p = 0.04), the fusiform morphology of the descending thoracic aortic aneurysms (p = 0.04), and the type of stent-graft used (p = 0.02). Eight of the 10 type I endoleaks (80%) were successfully treated by endovascular means, using proximal cuffs (n = 5) or distal extensions (n = 3). None of type II endoleaks were treated by secondary intervention. The six endoleaks treated conservatively were all associated with a significant mean increase of their aneurysmal sac (+3.2 ± 2.6 mm) during follow-up. No secondary conversion to open surgery was performed to treat an endoleak.
CONCLUSIONS: On the basis of the study, it seems as if endoleaks are detected in one of the five patients treated with TEVAR during follow-up period, particularly if they are old with a proximal and fusiform aneurysm. Short- and mid-term follow-up suggest that most type I endoleaks can successfully be treated by endovascular techniques and that type II endoleaks treated conservatively require a close radiological monitoring.
Authors:
Jean-Marc Alsac; Ilya Khantalin; Pierre Julia; Paul Achouh; Patrick Farahmand; Clément Capdevila; Khaled O Isselmou; Jean-Noël Fabiani
Related Documents :
15253266 - Superior mesenteric artery syndrome: an uncommon complication of abdominal aortic aneur...
17709726 - Change in practice patterns of an academic division of vascular surgery.
15253246 - Perirenal fixation as an independent factor in aortic remodeling after endovascular aor...
14743126 - Endovascular management of juxtarenal aneurysms with fenestrated endovascular grafting.
23017666 - Hyaluronan turnover and hypoxic brown adipocytic differentiation are co-localized with ...
3961296 - Time course of pulmonary vasoconstriction with repeated hypoxia and glucose depletion.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2010-10-06
Journal Detail:
Title:  Annals of vascular surgery     Volume:  25     ISSN:  1615-5947     ISO Abbreviation:  Ann Vasc Surg     Publication Date:  2011 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-03-14     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8703941     Medline TA:  Ann Vasc Surg     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  345-51     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
Copyright © 2011 Annals of Vascular Surgery Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Affiliation:
Service de Chirurgie Cardiaque et Vasculaire, Hôpital Européen Georges Pompidou-APHP, Université René Descartes, Paris, France.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  A case of rectal obstruction caused by bilateral internal iliac artery aneurysms.
Next Document:  Endovascular treatment of elective abdominal aortic aneurysms: independent predictors of early and l...