Document Detail


Serum zinc concentrations in the maintenance hemodialysis patients.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  16617586     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Zinc is necessary for growth and cells' division. Its deficiency may seriously affect antioxidant defense system and is usually related to renal failure, gastrointestinal diseases and alcoholism. It is very important to know zinc status in dialyzed patients and to prevent hypo- or hyperzincemia. Serum samples from 89 patients with chronic terminal renal failure on regular hemodialysis were withdrawn for the estimation of zinc concentrations immediately before and after dialysis. Serum zinc concentrations showed to be highly dependent on hemodialysis. In 57 (64%) patients, serum zinc concentrations decreased, sometimes from very high to normal values. In remaining 32 (36%) patients serum zinc concentrations tended to increase, but remained within normal range. Zinc supplementation may be recommended only in the patients with proven zinc deficiency, but for all chronic renal failure patients it is questionable.
Authors:
Stefica Dvornik; Mira Cuk; Sanjin Racki; Luka Zaputović
Related Documents :
6846336 - Hypersensitivity reaction on first-time exposure to cuprophan hollow fiber dialyzer.
1867186 - Pheochromocytoma in a long-term hemodialysis patient.
640816 - Improvement in the anemia of hemodialyzed patients following subtotal parathyroidectomy...
7752506 - The efficacy of indomethacin in the treatment of uremic pericarditis.
10877056 - Pentostatin (nipent) and high-dose cyclophosphamide for the treatment of refractory aut...
24593886 - Cervical spine involvement in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis - mri follow-...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Clinical Trial; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Collegium antropologicum     Volume:  30     ISSN:  0350-6134     ISO Abbreviation:  Coll Antropol     Publication Date:  2006 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2006-04-18     Completed Date:  2006-05-05     Revised Date:  2009-02-04    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8003354     Medline TA:  Coll Antropol     Country:  Croatia    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  125-9     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Laboratory Diagnostics, University Hospital Center Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Female
Humans
Kidney Failure, Chronic / blood,  therapy*
Male
Middle Aged
Renal Dialysis / adverse effects*
Trace Elements / blood*,  deficiency
Zinc / blood*,  deficiency
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Trace Elements; 7440-66-6/Zinc

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Epidemiology of superficial mycosis (tinea pedis, onychomycosis) in elementary school children in Is...
Next Document:  Burnout syndrome--assessment of a stressful job among intensive care staff.