Document Detail


Seborrhoeic dermatitis: treatment with anti-mycotic agents.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  8051320     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
In order to elucidate the effectiveness of anti-mycotics in treating seborrhoeic dermatitis, an attempt was made to isolate Malassezia from seborrhoeic lesions of patients of seborrhoeic dermatitis. The results revealed that, in male patients, 46/49 cases were positive for Malassezia furfur on the face and 30/48 cases were positive for M. furfur on the scalp. In female patients, 7/13 cases were positive for M. furfur on the face, and 6/17 cases were positive for M. furfur on the scalp. Anti-mycotic agents were excellent in 50% and good in 31% of the spore-positive cases, yielding an overall efficacy rate of 81%. In contrast, the treatment of the face with vehicle alone showed only one excellent result out of 8 cases. Although clinical improvement was rapid on the side treated with a topical corticosteroid in the half-side-test, numerous fungal elements remained. While the improvement with anti-mycotic agents was slower than that with the corticosteroid, clinical improvement became evident by the third week of administration and fungal elements disappeared.
Authors:
Y Sei; T Hamaguchi; J Ninomiya; A Nakabayashi; I Takiuchi
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The Journal of dermatology     Volume:  21     ISSN:  0385-2407     ISO Abbreviation:  J. Dermatol.     Publication Date:  1994 May 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1994-09-06     Completed Date:  1994-09-06     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7600545     Medline TA:  J Dermatol     Country:  JAPAN    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  334-40     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Dermatology, Showa University Fujigaoka Hospital, Yokohama, Japan.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Antifungal Agents / therapeutic use*
Child
Child, Preschool
Dermatitis, Seborrheic / drug therapy*,  microbiology
Dermatomycoses / drug therapy
Female
Humans
Malassezia / isolation & purification
Male
Middle Aged
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Antifungal Agents

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Efficacy of silver nitrate pencils in the treatment of common warts.
Next Document:  Acute febrile neutrophilic dermatosis (Sweet's syndrome) associated with extreme infiltration of eos...