Document Detail


Relation of peak creatine kinase levels during acute myocardial infarction to presence or absence of previous manifestations of myocardial ischemia (angina pectoris or healed myocardial infarction).
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  3414544     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The hypothesis that acute myocardial infarction (MI) is more extensive in patients without previous angina or healed MI was evaluated in 177 patients with documented recent acute MI. Ninety-nine patients (56%) had no previous angina or healed MI (negative history group), and the remaining 78 patients (44%) had a previous history of angina or healed MI (positive history group). The mean peak creatine kinase (CK) level in the negative history group was 784 compared with 419 IU in the positive history group (p less than 0.0001). The mean peak CK-MB level in the negative history group was 128 compared with 76 IU in the positive history group (p less than 0.001). The mean peak CK-MB level was higher in the negative history group after controlling for age, streptokinase administration, previous coronary artery bypass grafting or treatment with beta-blocking agents. Despite the high frequency of healed MI in the positive history group (73%), the rates of in-hospital complications were similar for the 2 groups. Patients with acute MI without previous angina or healed MI have substantially higher peak CK and CK-MB levels; this implies a larger MI than in patients with previous angina or healed MI.
Authors:
J E Brush; D A Brand; D Acampora; L Goldman; H S Cabin
Related Documents :
11806794 - Disagreements between central clinical events committee and site investigator assessmen...
23990264 - Metabolomics in the diagnosis of acute myocardial ischemia.
24255654 - A case of three consecutive events of acute myocardial infarctions in three different v...
18675474 - Impact of previous myocardial infarction on the incremental value of myocardial contras...
19344014 - Elevated cardiac troponins: the ultimate marker for myocardial necrosis, but not withou...
7267474 - Recent advances in nuclear cardiology. 2. dynamic myocardial scintigraphy.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The American journal of cardiology     Volume:  62     ISSN:  0002-9149     ISO Abbreviation:  Am. J. Cardiol.     Publication Date:  1988 Sep 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1988-10-11     Completed Date:  1988-10-11     Revised Date:  2006-11-15    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0207277     Medline TA:  Am J Cardiol     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  534-7     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Aged
Angina Pectoris / enzymology*
Creatine Kinase / blood*
Female
Hospitalization
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Myocardial Infarction / enzymology*
Recurrence
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
EC 2.7.3.2/Creatine Kinase

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Prognosis following sustained ventricular tachycardia occurring early after myocardial infarction.
Next Document:  Reverse and pseudo redistribution of thallium-201 in healed myocardial infarction and normal and neg...