Document Detail


Puerperal complications following elective Cesarean sections for twin pregnancies.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  17302518     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To estimate the maternal puerperal morbidity in elective and emergent cesareans in twins. STUDY DESIGN: We evaluated postpartum complications among patients who underwent elective cesarean birth for twin pregnancy. This group was compared to matched singletons and to emergent cesareans in twins. RESULTS: During the period September 1994-March 2006 there were 299 (47.4%) elective and 80 (12.7%) emergent cesarean sections in twin pregnancies, for a total of 379 (60.1%) cesarean births for both twins. Controls included 299 cases of elective cesareans in singletons. The comparison between elective and emergent cesareans and between elective cesareans in twins and in singletons found no significant differences in postpartum fever, scar infection, and postpartum hemorrhage. Venous thromboembolism occurred in two twin pregnancies, one in the elective and one in the emergent cesarean group. Postpartum hysterectomy was required in a singleton pregnancy following an elective cesarean birth. CONCLUSION: At present, no data exist to show a disadvantage for a planned cesarean birth for twins.
Authors:
Teresinha Simões; Leonor Aboim; Ana Costa; Alexandre Ambrosio; Sandra Alves; Isaac Blickstein
Related Documents :
17937088 - Myomectomy during the first and second trimester of pregnancy.
10898808 - Application of microwave technology to the processing and immunolabeling of plastic-emb...
19888038 - The appendix in pregnancy: confirming historical observations with a contemporary modal...
18295178 - Fetal injury associated with routine vacuum use during cesarean delivery.
12971148 - Factors implicated in the outcome of pregnancies complicated by acute respiratory failure.
22939728 - Association and prediction of neonatal acidemia.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Comparative Study; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of perinatal medicine     Volume:  35     ISSN:  0300-5577     ISO Abbreviation:  J Perinat Med     Publication Date:  2007  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2007-03-08     Completed Date:  2007-06-14     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0361031     Medline TA:  J Perinat Med     Country:  Germany    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  104-7     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Maternity Dr. Alfredo da Costa, Lisbon, Portugal.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Cesarean Section / adverse effects*
Emergencies
Female
Humans
Pregnancy
Pregnancy Outcome
Puerperal Disorders / etiology*
Surgical Procedures, Elective / adverse effects*
Twins*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Reference intervals for the cross sectional area of the umbilical cord during gestation.
Next Document:  Outcome of infants born at 21-28 weeks' gestation in an inner-city hospital over an eight-year perio...