Document Detail


Prognostic factors in elderly patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma treated with cyclophosphamide, vincristine, prednisone, bleomycin, Adriamycin, procarbazine (COP-BLAM) therapy.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  9352742     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Elderly patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) were treated with cyclophosphamide, vincristine, prednisone, bleomycin, Adriamycin, procarbazine (COP-BLAM) therapy at our institution. Prognostic factors were analyzed in 62 patients with untreated NHL aged 65 years or older. Of these patients, 47 (75.8%) achieved a complete remission and 11 (17.7%) partial remission. The overall response rate was 93.5%, with a 5-year survival rate of 70%. Factors with prognostic significance included age, performance status, albumin, stage, B symptoms, and histologic type according to the International Working Formulation. Of the 62 patients, 26 were alive at the time of writing. Of the 36 patients who died, 30 died due to progression of NHL or treatment-related disorders, and 6 died from disease other than NHL. Some of the prognostic factors identified in these elderly patients are not included among the prognostic factors reported for younger patients, suggesting the need to individualize chemotherapy for NHLs of different types, which can be defined by prognostic factors. Prognostic factors other than age should be taken into account, particularly when doses and dosing intervals are determined.
Authors:
N Niitsu
Publication Detail:
Type:  Clinical Trial; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Acta haematologica     Volume:  98     ISSN:  0001-5792     ISO Abbreviation:  Acta Haematol.     Publication Date:  1997  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1997-12-05     Completed Date:  1997-12-05     Revised Date:  2006-04-24    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0141053     Medline TA:  Acta Haematol     Country:  SWITZERLAND    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  130-5     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
First Department of Internal Medicine, Toho University School of Medicine, Japan.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Antineoplastic Combined Chemotherapy Protocols / therapeutic use*
Bleomycin / administration & dosage
Cyclophosphamide / administration & dosage
Doxorubicin / administration & dosage
Humans
Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin / drug therapy*
Middle Aged
Prednisone / administration & dosage
Procarbazine / administration & dosage
Prognosis
Vincristine / administration & dosage
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/COP-BLAM protocol; 11056-06-7/Bleomycin; 23214-92-8/Doxorubicin; 50-18-0/Cyclophosphamide; 53-03-2/Prednisone; 57-22-7/Vincristine; 671-16-9/Procarbazine

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Hydroxyurea therapy in sickle cell anemia patients in Curaçao, The Netherlands Antilles.
Next Document:  Use of high-dose chemotherapy plus granulocyte colony-stimulating factor for the salvage of refracto...