Document Detail


Prevalence and predictors for post-thrombotic syndrome three to 16 years after pregnancy-related venous thrombosis: a population-based, cross-sectional, case-control study.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22452811     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Background: The long-term outcome of pregnancy-related venous thrombosis (VT) is not known.Objectives: To assess predictors and long-term frequency of post-thrombotic syndrome (PTS) after pregnancy-related VT Patients/Methods: In 2006, 313 women with pregnancy-related VT during 1990-2003 and 353 controls answered a comprehensive questionnaire that included self-reported Villalta score as a measure of PTS. Cases were identified from 18 Norwegian hospitals using the Norwegian Patient Registry and the Medical Birth Registry of Norway. The latter was used to select as possible controls women who gave birth at the same time as a case. Thirty-nine patients and four controls were excluded because of VT outside the lower limbs/lungs or missing Villalta scores. 204 patients had DVT in the lower limb and 70 had pulmonary embolism (PE). The control group comprised 349 women naive for VT at the time of the index pregnancy Results: 42% of cases with DVT in the lower limb, compared with 24% of cases with PE and 10% of controls, reported a Villalta score of ≥5. Severe PTS (Villalta score of ≥15) was reported among 7%, 4%, and 1%. Proximal postnatal, but not antenatal, thrombosis was a strong predictor of PTS with an adjusted odds ratio of 6.3 (95% confidence interval 2.0-19.8, P=0.002). Daily smoking before the index pregnancy and age above 33 years at event were independent predictors for post-thrombotic syndrome Conclusions: PTS is a common long-term complication after pregnancy-related DVT. Proximal postnatal thrombosis, smoking, and higher age were independent predictors of the development of PTS. © 2012 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
Authors:
H S Wik; A F Jacobsen; L Sandvik; P M Sandset
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2012-3-27
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of thrombosis and haemostasis : JTH     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1538-7836     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2012 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-3-28     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101170508     Medline TA:  J Thromb Haemost     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Copyright Information:
© 2012 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
Affiliation:
Oslo University Hospital, Department ofHaematology Oslo University Hospital, Department ofObstetrics and Gynaecology Oslo University Hospital, Department ofClinical Research and £Research Institute of Internal Medicine University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  A mouse model for triple-negative breast cancer tumor-initiating cells (TNBC-TICs) exhibits similar ...
Next Document:  Phylogenetic and functional diversity of metagenomic libraries of phenol degrading sludge from petro...