Document Detail


Postoperative infections following total knee replacement: an epidemiological study.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  11330366     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
From January 1991 to June 1997 217 patients undergoing monolateral or bilateral total knee replacement (TKR) were consecutively enrolled in a prospective study on the incidence of postoperative infections and related risk factors. Regional antimicrobial prophylaxis (teicoplanin 400 mg) was used in 263 (95%) prostheses implanted; in the remaining 14 implants (5%) perioperative antibiotic prophylaxis (teicoplanin 800 mg) was administered as usual by systemic route. None of the patients experienced local or systemic adverse effects. Over the 2-year follow-up period, 8 (2.9%) primary site infectious complications were recorded, i.e. 4 superficial infections, which were cured without involvement of the prostheses, and 4 deep infections, which required prosthesis removal. Six infections occurred in patients who had undergone previous surgery of the same knee joint, and 2 in patients undergoing primary TKR (p= 0.0005); diabetic patients had infections (13%) more frequently than non-diabetic patients (1.9%, p=0.01). Staphylococci were the leading organisms isolated from infections; however 3 strains of Escherichia coli were isolated from patients who had undergone a previous prosthesis implantation at the same knee joint. Regional administration of teicoplanin appears to be a safe and valuable prophylactic technique; however, in patients at risk of infection a prophylactic regimen which is also active against gram-negative bacteria should probably be considered.
Authors:
L Lazzarini; G Pellizzer; C Stecca; R Viola; F de Lalla
Related Documents :
1988306 - Imipenem-cilastatin for empirical therapy in neutropenic patients with fever: an open s...
24911856 - Enterobius granuloma: an unusual cause of omental mass in an 11-year-old girl.
6794406 - Prevention of infection by trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole plus amphotericin b in patient...
19775906 - Recurrent sternal infection following treatment with negative pressure wound therapy an...
21715096 - Cryptosporidium parvum infection in a mare and her foal with foal heat diarrhoea.
15040666 - Factors influencing the distribution of digenetic trematode infections in a mudsnail (h...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of chemotherapy (Florence, Italy)     Volume:  13     ISSN:  1120-009X     ISO Abbreviation:  J Chemother     Publication Date:  2001 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2001-05-01     Completed Date:  2001-09-06     Revised Date:  2009-08-04    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8907348     Medline TA:  J Chemother     Country:  Italy    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  182-7     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Infectious Diseases, San Bortolo Hospital, Venezia, Italy. fdl.vi@gpnet.it
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Anti-Bacterial Agents / administration & dosage,  pharmacology*
Antibiotic Prophylaxis*
Arthroplasty, Replacement, Knee / adverse effects*
Female
Gram-Negative Bacterial Infections / epidemiology*,  etiology,  prevention & control
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Prospective Studies
Risk Factors
Surgical Wound Infection / epidemiology*
Teicoplanin / administration & dosage,  pharmacology*
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Anti-Bacterial Agents; 61036-62-2/Teicoplanin

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Duration of clinical symptoms in female patients with acute urethral syndrome caused by Chlamydia tr...
Next Document:  Dynamics of viral load in plasma and HIV DNA in lymphocytes during highly active antiretroviral ther...