Document Detail


Postnatal outcome of isolated, nonprogressive, mild borderline fetal ventriculomegaly.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23306962     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: This study aimed to evaluate postnatal outcome of fetuses affected by nonprogressive, isolated, mild (≥10 and ≤12 mm) borderline ventriculomegaly (BVM). METHODS: We studied 25 consecutive fetuses with BMV and evaluated patients' characteristic, ultrasonographic findings, and the neurodevelopmental outcome at age ≥24 months. RESULTS: The mean gestational age at diagnosis was 23.84 ± 5.02 weeks (min-max; 17-34 weeks). In 16 cases, BVM was bilateral (16/25, 64 %), 4 left sided (4/25, 16 %), and 5 right sided (5/25, 20 %). Fourteen cases were males (14/25, 56 %), and 11 cases were females (11/25, 44 %). In two cases, ventriculomegaly was regressed 4 weeks after the initial diagnosis (2/25, 8 %), and in the remaining cases, ventriculomegaly persisted between initial measurement and 12 mm. The mean age of the infant at the time of the neurodevelopmental evaluation was 45.9 months (24-77 months). The neurodevelopmental outcome at the mean age of 45.9 months was completely normal in 16 infants (16/25, 64 %). The remaining nine infants (9/25, 36 %) had mild degree of neuromotor developmental delay. CONCLUSION: Prenatal counseling for isolated, nonprogressive, mild BVM should be mainly reassurance since it is not associated with severe neurodevelopmental delay. However, parents should be educated about the developmental milestone of children to observe and detect mild neurodevelopmental delay which can be associated with mild BVM.
Authors:
Mehmet Serdar Kutuk; Mahmut Tuncay Ozgun; Semih Uludag; Mehmet Dolanbay; Hatice Gamze Poyrazoglu; Mustafa Tas
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2013-1-11
Journal Detail:
Title:  Child's nervous system : ChNS : official journal of the International Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1433-0350     ISO Abbreviation:  Childs Nerv Syst     Publication Date:  2013 Jan 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2013-1-11     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8503227     Medline TA:  Childs Nerv Syst     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gevher Nesibe Hospital, Erciyes University, 38039, Kayseri, Turkey.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Primary gliomatosis cerebri involving gray matter in pediatrics: a distinct entity? A multicenter st...
Next Document:  Computer-Guided Orbital Reconstruction to Improve Outcomes.