Document Detail


Post-operative expansion of hemorrhagic contusions after unilateral decompressive hemicraniectomy in severe traumatic brain injury.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  18346002     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Decompressive hemicraniectomy is commonly performed in patients with traumatic brain injury (TBI) with diffuse brain swelling or refractory raised intracranial pressure. Expansion of hemorrhagic contusions in TBI patients is common, but its frequency following decompressive hemicraniectomy has not been well established. The aim of this retrospective study was to determine the rate of hemorrhagic contusion expansion following unilateral hemicraniectomy in severe TBI, to identify factors associated with contusion expansion, and to examine whether contusion expansion is associated with worsened clinical outcomes. Computed tomography (CT) scans of 40 consecutive patients with non-penetrating TBI who underwent decompressive hemicraniectomy were analyzed. Hemorrhagic contusion volumes were measured on initial, last pre-operative, and first post-operative CT scans. Mortality and 6-month Glasgow Outcome Scale (GOS) score were recorded. Hemorrhagic contusions of any size were present on the initial head CT scan in 48% of patients, but hemorrhagic contusions with a total volume of >5 cc were present in only 10%. New or expanded hemorrhagic contusions of >or=5 cc were observed after hemicraniectomy in 58% of patients. The mean volume of increased hemorrhage among these patients was 37.1+/-36.3 cc. The Rotterdam CT score on the initial head CT was strongly associated with the occurrence and the total volume of expanded hemorrhagic contusions following decompressive hemicraniectomy. Expanded hemorrhagic contusion volume greater than 20 cc after hemicraniectomy was strongly associated with mortality and poor 6-month GOS even after controlling for age and initial Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) score. Expansion of hemorrhagic contusions is common after decompressive hemicraniectomy following severe TBI. The volume of hemorrhagic contusion expansion following hemicraniectomy is strongly associated with mortality and poor outcome. Severity of initial CT findings may predict the risk of contusion expansion following hemicraniectomy, thereby identifying a subgroup of patients who might benefit from therapies aimed at augmenting the coagulation system.
Authors:
Alexander C Flint; Geoffrey T Manley; Alisa D Gean; J Claude Hemphill; Guy Rosenthal
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of neurotrauma     Volume:  25     ISSN:  0897-7151     ISO Abbreviation:  J. Neurotrauma     Publication Date:  2008 May 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2008-06-06     Completed Date:  2008-07-31     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8811626     Medline TA:  J Neurotrauma     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  503-12     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Neurology, Neurovascular and Neurocritical Care Service, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, California 94110, USA.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Brain Injuries / pathology*,  surgery*
Contusions
Decompression, Surgical*
Female
Glasgow Outcome Scale
Humans
Intracranial Hemorrhages / surgery*
Intracranial Hypertension / surgery
Male
Neurosurgical Procedures
Postoperative Complications* / epidemiology
Retrospective Studies
Tomography, X-Ray Computed

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Cervical cancer screening among Thai women in Northern California.
Next Document:  Construction and preliminary investigation of a plasmid containing a novel immunotoxin DT390-IL-18 g...