Document Detail


Platelet size has diagnostic predictive value in patients with thrombocytopenia.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  16307537     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
We studied 473 unselected patients with thrombocytopenia. The mean platelet volume (MPV) was 8.1 fl in patients with marrow disease and 9.8 fl in patients without marrow disease (P < 0.001). A total of 5% of patients with an MPV >or=10.5 fl have marrow disease (odds ratio 0.05, 95% CI 0.02-0.13). Conversely over three quarters of patients with an MPV of <8.0 fl have marrow disease (odds ratio 8.1, 95% CI 5.0-13.0). Therefore the MPV can strongly guide the clinician as to the likely presence or absence of bone marrow disease in thrombocytopenic patients.
Authors:
K M Bowles; L J Cooke; E M Richards; T P Baglin
Related Documents :
17253967 - Reduced-intensity allogeneic transplantation in patients with refractory or progressive...
9150127 - Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in rheumatic diseases other than systemic scler...
17940127 - Posttransplant lymphoproliferative disorder.
9643567 - Changes in the functional capacity of marrow stromal cells after autologous bone marrow...
8101447 - Retinal disease associated with aids.
16773407 - Transient insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in children with steroid-dependent idiopa...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Clinical and laboratory haematology     Volume:  27     ISSN:  0141-9854     ISO Abbreviation:  Clin Lab Haematol     Publication Date:  2005 Dec 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2005-11-25     Completed Date:  2006-01-24     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7907061     Medline TA:  Clin Lab Haematol     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  370-3     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Haematology, Addenbrooke's NHS Trust, Cambridge, UK.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Blood Platelets / pathology*
Bone Marrow Diseases / complications,  diagnosis
Cell Size
Child
Child, Preschool
Diagnostic Imaging
Female
Humans
Infant
Infant, Newborn
Male
Middle Aged
Predictive Value of Tests*
Single-Blind Method
Thrombocytopenia / diagnosis,  pathology*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Slide session, British Society for Haematology, 45th Annual Scientific Meeting, Manchester, 2005.
Next Document:  A survey of the antibiotic treatment of febrile neutropenia in haematology units in the United Kingd...