Document Detail


Plasma ANP levels and protein extravasation during graded expansion with equilibrated whole blood.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  8853381     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The relationship between plasma immunoreactive atrial natriuretic peptide (irANP) and radiolabeled albumin clearance (CBSA) in multiple tissues after graded volume stimuli was examined. To obtain a pure volume stimulus, pentobarbital sodium-anesthetized rats (5 or 6 per group) were equilibrated with a reservoir of blood by a femoral arteriovenous shunt, and volume expansion (VE) was produced by adjusting reservoir outflow. Peak increases in central venous pressure (CVP) during VE equal to 2 and 4% of the body weight over 5 min were 3.6 +/- 0.2 and 7.0 +/- 0.3 mmHg, and plasma irANP levels measured at 40 min post-VE were elevated 1.9- and 4.1-fold above baseline, respectively. Graded increases in CBSA measured between 5 and 35 min post-VE occurred in selective tissues, including intestine, visceral fat, lung, and muscle (P < or = 0.05). In separate animals, the level of VE was maintained after 2% VE by slower administration of an additional 2% VE for the remaining 30 min. This resulted in a more sustained CVP elevation and larger increases in irANP levels and CBSA compared with either 2 or 4% VE. Furthermore, equations derived from previous work in this laboratory involving intravenous administration of ANP predicted the magnitude of CBSA elevation during maintained VE. These findings support a role for ANP in regulating transcapillary protein distribution during acute intravascular expansion.
Authors:
V L Tucker
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The American journal of physiology     Volume:  271     ISSN:  0002-9513     ISO Abbreviation:  Am. J. Physiol.     Publication Date:  1996 Sep 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1996-12-05     Completed Date:  1996-12-05     Revised Date:  2007-11-14    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0370511     Medline TA:  Am J Physiol     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  R601-9     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Human Physiology, University of California, Davis 95616, USA.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Animals
Atrial Natriuretic Factor / blood*
Blood Proteins / analysis
Blood Transfusion*
Blood Volume
Capillary Permeability*
Central Venous Pressure
Male
Rats
Rats, Wistar
Serum Albumin, Bovine / pharmacokinetics*
Grant Support
ID/Acronym/Agency:
HL-0797/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS; R01-HL-18010/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Blood Proteins; 0/Serum Albumin, Bovine; 85637-73-6/Atrial Natriuretic Factor

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Increased expression of cytokine-induced neutrophil chemoattractant in septic rat liver.
Next Document:  Contribution of ANP to plasma protein escape during VE: effects of thiorphan and atrial appendectomy...