Document Detail


Peripheral insertion of double-lumen central venous catheter using the Seldinger technique in newborns.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  18200023     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To report the experience of peripheral insertion of double-lumen central catheters (PIDLCC) in preterm and term newborn infants and to analyze the technical characteristics of the procedure and any observed complications. STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective review of 61 newborns that had a PIDLCC between 2003 and 2006. The study comprised clinical data analysis, anthropometrics, indications, duration, complications and reasons for withdrawal of the catheters. RESULT: Weight of the patients was <1 kg in 10%, and >2 kg in 75%. Catheters tip placement was as aimed, mostly superior cava vein (SCV), in 65.5%, and subclavian vein in remaining 34.5% and average duration of catheterization was 13.5+/-9.6 and 8.9+/-5.8 days, respectively. Blood sampling through both lumens was possible especially when the tip was at SCV. Reasons for catheter withdrawal were end of indication (45.9%), phlebitis/edema (21.3%), suspected infection (3.2%), accidental withdrawal (3.2%) and rupture of proximal end (3.2%). In three (4.9%) patients, withdrawal was due to serious complications (two cases of pleural leakage of infusion fluid and one breakage of the metallic guide). About 16.3% of the patients died with the catheter still in situ. Infection findings were positive tip culture (14.7%) and catheter-related sepsis (3.2%). CONCLUSION: Insertion of PIDLCC is possible in neonates. The incidence of complications, mostly mechanical, requires careful evaluation of indications, and strict adherence to the procedure of insertion and manipulation.
Authors:
T M Bueno; A I Diz; P Q Cervera; J Pérez-Rodríguez; J Quero
Related Documents :
7616263 - Catheter systems for intrathecal drug delivery.
11497393 - Outpatient treatment of multiple myeloma with a combination of vincristine, adriamycin ...
23173863 - Results for surgical correction of complete atrioventricular septal defect: association...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2008-01-17
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of perinatology : official journal of the California Perinatal Association     Volume:  28     ISSN:  0743-8346     ISO Abbreviation:  J Perinatol     Publication Date:  2008 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2008-04-01     Completed Date:  2008-07-10     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8501884     Medline TA:  J Perinatol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  282-6     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Neonatal Unit, La Paz Children's Hospital, Madrid, Spain.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Catheterization, Central Venous / adverse effects,  methods*
Catheters, Indwelling
Cohort Studies
Extremities / blood supply
Humans
Infant, Low Birth Weight
Infant, Newborn
Infant, Newborn, Diseases / therapy*
Infant, Premature
Intensive Care, Neonatal
Patient Selection
Retrospective Studies

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Sucking and swallowing in infants and diagnostic tools.
Next Document:  Inhaled epinephrine for the treatment of transient tachypnea of the newborn.