Document Detail


Percutaneous balloon compression for the treatment of recurrent trigeminal neuralgia: long-term outcome in 29 patients.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  18552523     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To analyze the long-term clinical outcomes and complication rates associated with percutaneous balloon compression (PBC) of the trigeminal ganglion in patients with recurrent trigeminal neuralgia (TN) who were treated surgically with procedures other than PBC. METHODS: In this retrospective study, the authors reviewed the results of 29 patients who underwent 41 PBC procedures for recurrent TN between 1998 and 2006. RESULTS: The overall mean length of follow-up was 49 months (range 1-101). Pain relief was immediate in 24 (83%) patients. There was no pain relief in 5 patients (17%). 2 patients were lost to follow-up. 12 (54.5%) of 22 patients remained pain-free during a mean follow-up period of 65 months (range 40-101). The other 10 patients (45.5%) who had immediate pain relief experienced recurrent pain, with a mean time to recurrence of 7.3 months (17 days to 38 months). PBC was repeated in 11 patients, and was performed a third time in 2 patients. Morbidities included minor dysesthesia (2 patients), masseter weakness (2 patients), corneal anesthesia (1 patient), anesthesia dolorosa (1 patient), and subarachnoid hemorrhage (1 patient with history of multiple myeloma). CONCLUSION: PBC is a useful treatment for patients with recurrent TN who have already been treated surgically. Long-term relief of pain in this subset of TN patients is achieved nearly half of the time with side-effect profiles similar to those reported in published data.
Authors:
Ibrahim Omeis; David Smith; Susan Kim; Raj Murali
Related Documents :
24840583 - Gait kinematics after taping in participants with chronic ankle instability.
1627673 - Intracranial meningiomas in patients over 70 years old. follow-up in operated and unope...
10146443 - The repair of inguinal hernias using carbon fibre patches--a five-year follow-up.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Comparative Study; Journal Article     Date:  2008-06-13
Journal Detail:
Title:  Stereotactic and functional neurosurgery     Volume:  86     ISSN:  1423-0372     ISO Abbreviation:  Stereotact Funct Neurosurg     Publication Date:  2008  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2008-07-07     Completed Date:  2008-12-11     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8902881     Medline TA:  Stereotact Funct Neurosurg     Country:  Switzerland    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  259-65     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
(c) 2008 S. Karger AG, Basel
Affiliation:
Department of Neurosurgery, New York Medical College, Valhalla and New York, NY, USA. ibrahim_omeis@nymc.edu
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Balloon Dilatation / methods*
Female
Follow-Up Studies
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Recurrence / prevention & control
Retrospective Studies
Time
Treatment Outcome
Trigeminal Neuralgia / prevention & control*,  surgery,  therapy

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Subthalamic stimulation for essential tremor. Short- and long-term results and critical target area.
Next Document:  Permeation and metabolism of a novel ascorbic acid derivative, disodium isostearyl 2-O-L-ascorbyl ph...