Document Detail


Pelvi-calyceal height, a predictor of success when treating lower pole stones with extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  15937708     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Extra corporeal shockwave lithotripsy (ESWL) is the treatment of choice for the majority of renal stones, however, it has the lowest success rate in complete clearance of stones located in the lower pole. We assess whether pelvi-calyceal height is a useful measurement in predicting successful stone clearance from the lower pole. A total of 105 patients with a solitary lower pole calculus of less than 20 mm treated with ESWL were reviewed. Stone size, location and pelvi-calyceal height were measured by intravenous urogram. Success was defined as complete stone clearance. Fifty-four patients (51.4%) had successful treatments, with the remaining 51 (48.6%) having incomplete stone clearance (including two patients in whom treatment had no effect). There was a statistically significant difference (P<0.0001) in pelvi-calyceal height between the two groups. Mean pelvi-calyceal height in patients with complete stone clearance was 15.1 mm (SD=3.9) compared with 22.9 mm (SD=5.2) for those with incomplete clearance. Pelvi-calyceal height is a useful predictor of success when treating lower pole renal stones with ESWL.
Authors:
A Symes; G Shaw; D Corry; S Choong
Related Documents :
14570428 - Patterns and trends in southern ontario lake ice phenology.
1467848 - Treatment of stones in caliceal diverticula: extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy vers...
1553938 - Electromagnetic shock wave lithotripsy of gallbladder stones: a wide range of inclusion...
16104918 - Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy with a transportable electrohydraulic lithotripte...
21256308 - Leukocyte depletion during extracorporeal circulation allows better organ protection bu...
7886408 - Long-term outcome after renovascular surgery. comparison between thoracoretroperitoneal...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2005-06-04
Journal Detail:
Title:  Urological research     Volume:  33     ISSN:  0300-5623     ISO Abbreviation:  Urol. Res.     Publication Date:  2005 Aug 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2005-08-31     Completed Date:  2006-01-04     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0364311     Medline TA:  Urol Res     Country:  Germany    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  297-300     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Stone Unit, Institute of Urology, University College London, London W1W 7EY, UK. andysymes@mac.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Female
Humans
Kidney Calculi / therapy*
Kidney Pelvis / anatomy & histology*
Lithotripsy*
Male
Middle Aged

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Retarded ejaculation in men: an overview of psychological and neurobiological insights.
Next Document:  Effects of trace metals on the inhibition of calcium oxalate crystallization.