Document Detail


Pathways of incorporation of fatty acid into glycerolipids of the murine peripheral nervous system in vivo: alterations in the dysmyelinating mutant trembler mouse.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  9113128     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
In vivo glycerolipid metabolism was studied in sciatic nerves of normal and Trembler mice. The results showed that two kinetically independent pathways were implicated in the labeling of diacylglycerophospholipids from [3H]palmitate: the Kennedy pathway and a 'direct acylation' pathway. In normal nerves, 45% of the glycerophospholipids were labeled, with a rate constant k3 = 3.9 x 10(-3) min-1, from phosphatidic acid and diacylglycerol intermediates, themselves formed with a rate constant of k1 = 0.24 min-1 from a free 3H-fatty acid pool, FFA1, that represents 45% of the total injected label. The remaining 55% of the glycerophospholipids were labeled from a kinetically distinct free 3H-fatty acid pool, FFA2, with a rate constant of k4 = 9.8 x 10(-2) min-1, via a process that does not implicate a detectably labeled metabolic intermediate ('direct acylation'). Glycerophospholipid labeling via the Kennedy pathway in the Trembler mouse sciatic nerves was reduced to 75% of the normal level, while labeling via the 'direct acylation' pathway was increased 1.4-fold. The values of the rate constants for free 3H-fatty acid utilisation (k1 and k4) were both increased about 2.5-fold, while that of glycerophospholipid formation from diacylglycerol (k3) was close to normal.
Authors:
A M Heape; J J Bessoule; F Boiron-Sargueil; C Cassagne
Related Documents :
8422258 - Calcium-independent activation of protein kinase c by the dianionic form of phosphatidi...
169258 - Isolation and characterization of cytidine diphosphate diglyceride from beef liver.
12223088 - Interaction of exogenous hypochlorite or hypochlorite produced by myeloperoxidase + h2o...
3839668 - Carbachol stimulation of phosphatidic acid synthesis: competitive inhibition by pirenze...
22136518 - Broad substrate specificity of the amide synthase in s. hygroscopicus--new 20-membered ...
19846548 - Clock genetic variation and metabolic syndrome risk: modulation by monounsaturated fatt...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Neurochemistry international     Volume:  29     ISSN:  0197-0186     ISO Abbreviation:  Neurochem. Int.     Publication Date:  1996 Dec 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1997-05-29     Completed Date:  1997-05-29     Revised Date:  2006-11-15    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8006959     Medline TA:  Neurochem Int     Country:  ENGLAND    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  607-22     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Pathology, University of Oulu, Finland.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Animals
Demyelinating Diseases / genetics,  metabolism*
Fatty Acids / metabolism*
Glycerophosphates / metabolism*
Kinetics
Mice
Mice, Neurologic Mutants
Peripheral Nervous System / metabolism*
Reference Values
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Fatty Acids; 0/Glycerophosphates

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Time course of biochemical and immunohistological alterations during experimental allergic encephalo...
Next Document:  2,3-Butanedione inactivates the [3H]nitrendipine binding sites, whereas diethylpyrocarbonate does no...