Document Detail


Pathophysiology and subjective symptoms in women with impaired bladder emptying.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  16903929     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
AIM: To assess the pathophysiology and subjective symptoms in female patients with impaired bladder emptying. METHODS: Eighty-three consecutive female patients attending a urology clinic with postvoid residual urine of more than 100 mL were recruited. Free uroflowmetry, measurement of postvoid residual urine and pressure-flow study were performed in all patients. The detailed assessment of subjective symptoms and their bothersomeness to the patients were assessed using a self-administered questionnaire comprising 12 items: five associated with voiding symptoms, five with storage symptoms, and two with discomfort and pain on voiding. The questionnaire was applied to 83 patients with impaired bladder emptying, 41 patients with urinary incontinence, and 21 normal controls. RESULTS: Although 77% of the patients with impaired bladder emptying consulted a urology clinic because of voiding symptoms, the remaining 23% complained of storage symptoms or symptoms other than lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). The pressure-flow study revealed the pathophysiology of impaired bladder emptying as impaired detrusor contraction in 68 patients (81.9%), and bladder outlet obstruction in 12 patients (14.8%). The assessment of subjective symptoms using the questionnaire revealed that the patients with urinary incontinence showed a high frequency only in storage symptoms; however, those with impaired bladder emptying revealed a high frequency not only in voiding but also in storage symptoms. CONCLUSIONS: Female patients with impaired bladder emptying present with a wide range of lower urinary tract symptoms associated with both voiding and storage symptoms. To determine an appropriate treatment modality, the correct diagnosis of the underlying pathophysiology of impaired bladder emptying by pressure-flow study is of primary importance.
Authors:
Momokazu Gotoh; Yoko Yoshikawa; Shinichi Ohshima
Related Documents :
7427009 - Clinical experience with intravesical prostaglandin e2. a prospective study of 36 patie...
9412799 - Evaluation of transrectal voiding ultrasonography in men with micturition difficulties ...
12806359 - Role of fecal incontinence in contamination of the environment with vancomycin-resistan...
17924539 - Can a faked cystometry deceive patients in their perception of filling sensations? a st...
7168099 - Modified excretory urography in prehysterectomy patients.
7359639 - Cystolysis: a procedure for the selective denervation of the bladder.
18591009 - Fluctuations in tremor and respiration in patients with parkinson's disease.
17196099 - Risk factors for pressure sores in adult patients with myelomeningocele--a questionnair...
720379 - Controlled study of the bronchoconstriction effect of pindolol administered intravenous...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  International journal of urology : official journal of the Japanese Urological Association     Volume:  13     ISSN:  0919-8172     ISO Abbreviation:  Int. J. Urol.     Publication Date:  2006 Aug 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2006-08-14     Completed Date:  2006-12-07     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9440237     Medline TA:  Int J Urol     Country:  Australia    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1053-7     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Urology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan. gotoh@med.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Contrast Media
Female
Humans
Middle Aged
Prospective Studies
Quality of Life
Questionnaires
Urinary Bladder Diseases / diagnosis*,  physiopathology*,  radiography
Urinary Retention / diagnosis*,  physiopathology*,  radiography
Urodynamics
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Contrast Media

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Papillary renal cell carcinoma: a clinicopathological study of 35 cases.
Next Document:  Significant relationship of time-dependent uroflowmetric parameters to lower urinary tract symptoms ...