Document Detail


[Pathology of AtheroThrombosIS (ATIS)].
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20977286     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Process    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Once atherosclerosis develops, stenosis (or occlusion) may occur in the lumen of various arteries of the living body. This can lead to a range of conditions, including myocardial infarction, cerebral infarction, aortic aneurysm and peripheral artery disease. The acronym 'ATIS' (AtheroThrombosIS) is a collective term for diseases characterized by a common course of development based on atherosclerosis. This article reviews pathological findings in atherothrombotic lesions of human coronary, carotid, and vertebrobasilar arteries as well as leg arteries and veins. Histologically, atheromatous plaques of coronary arteries can broadly be typed as fibrous and lipid-rich (atheromatous). Macroscopically, fibrous plaque has a whitish appearance and is composed of smooth muscle cells and collagen fibres. Lipid-rich (atheromatous) plaque, on the other hand, appears yellow macroscopically, with the superficial layer (closer to the lumen) having a white fibrous cap which covers the atheroma. This fibrous cap is quite thin and is likely to rupture. Typical pathological features of such atherothrombosis are narrowing of the vascular lumen due to lipid-rich (atheromatous) plaque, and thrombus formation due to a broken fibrous cap. Such plaque rupture is the underlying cause of acute myocardial infarction in about 70% of patients, while acute myocardial infarction in the remaining patients (30%) results from plaque erosion. In cases of plaque erosion, atheroma is seldom seen, and atherosclerosis manifests in a full-circumferential manner, resulting in thrombus formation due to endothelial cell injury and eventually leading to obstructive thrombi. Thus, thrombus formation associated with myocardial infarction is attributable to plaque rupture if the lesion contains a lipid-rich (atheromatous) plaque. In cases where plaques cause particularly intense injury of endothelial cells, plaque erosion is likely to occur, resulting in formation of obstructive thrombi within the vascular lumen. Primary factors involved in the evolution of ATIS are injury of vascular endothelial cells, inflammation of a vulnerable plaque and intra-plaque haemorrhage. ATIS in other vascular systems has similar pathological features. The continued increase in the aged population and the morbidity of lifestyle-related diseases will make more cases of ATIS intractable. It will be of paramount importance to prevent intractable ATIS in the future.
Authors:
Makiko Ueda
Related Documents :
6731686 - Surgical implications of low cardiac output syndrome after myocardial infarction.
2327716 - Ventricular septal rupture in acute myocardial infarction.
11406916 - Images in cardiology: left ventricular free wall rupture.
18974626 - gastrointestinal involvement and renal infarction in a boy with classic polyarteritis n...
21256996 - Comparison of thrombolysis in myocardial infarction, global registry of acute coronary ...
9818866 - Dissociation of letter and picture naming resulting from callosal disconnection.
Publication Detail:
Type:  English Abstract; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Drugs     Volume:  70 Suppl 1     ISSN:  0012-6667     ISO Abbreviation:  Drugs     Publication Date:  2010 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-10-27     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7600076     Medline TA:  Drugs     Country:  New Zealand    
Other Details:
Languages:  jpn     Pagination:  3-8     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Pathology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan. maki@med.osaka−cu.ac.jp
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  ATIS (AtheroThrombosIS) Summit 2009 17 October 2009, Osaka. Partial Proceedings. Foreword.
Next Document:  [The basis of platelets: platelets and atherothrombosis: an understanding of the lack of efficacy of...