Document Detail


"Paraduodenal" pancreatitis: results of surgery on 58 consecutives patients from a single institution.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  19809849     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: Cystic dystrophy of heterotopic pancreas, groove pancreatitis, pancreatic hamartoma of the duodenum, paraduodenal wall cyst, and myoadenomatosis are all terms grouped together, from a pathological viewpoint, as definitions of paraduodenal pancreatitis (PP). The objective of the present study was to investigate the clinical characteristics, therapeutic strategies, and results in 58 patients undergoing pancreatic resection for PP. METHODS: From January 1990 to December 2006 data were prospectively collected on 58 patients who were diagnosed with PP who then underwent pancreaticoduodenectomy. RESULTS: In this patient cohort the median age was 44.7 years; only 4 patients were women, and only 3 had non-drinker and/or non smoker habits. The overall morbidity was 18.9%, and the median hospitalization was 11 days. There were no postoperative deaths. In a median follow-up of 96.3 months, all patients noted a decrease in the pain associated with PP; 35 patients (76%) had complete disappearance of pain, whereas occasional relapsing pain occurred in the remaining 11 (24%). CONCLUSIONS: Patients with PP have clinical characteristics similar to those of chronic pancreatitis. The diagnostic imaging modalities of choice are ultrasonographic endoscopy and magnetic resonance cholangiopancreaticography. Based on our surgical experience, pancreaticoduodenectomy seems to be a reasonable choice of treatment in patients with PP.
Authors:
L Casetti; C Bassi; R Salvia; G Butturini; R Graziani; M Falconi; L Frulloni; S Crippa; G Zamboni; P Pederzoli
Related Documents :
18528619 - Comparative analysis of clinical outcomes for laparoscopic distal pancreatic resection ...
17687599 - Prognostic factors in patients undergoing surgery for severe necrotizing pancreatitis.
10457339 - Venting intraluminal drains in pancreaticoduodenectomy.
25086129 - Functional outcome and quality of life after the surgical treatment for diffuse-type gi...
23796769 - Dermatology life quality index and side effects after topical photodynamic therapy of a...
9127169 - A randomized, controlled trial of octreotide in the management of patients with acute p...
375839 - Photochemotherapy for psoriasis. a clinical cooperative study of puva-48 and puva-64.
19554329 - Opening wedge osteotomy of the first cuneiform for the treatment of hallux valgus.
25393569 - Can radiographs predict outcome in patients with idiopathic clubfeet treated with the p...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  World journal of surgery     Volume:  33     ISSN:  1432-2323     ISO Abbreviation:  World J Surg     Publication Date:  2009 Dec 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-03-18     Completed Date:  2010-08-31     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7704052     Medline TA:  World J Surg     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  2664-9     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche, University of Verona, Policlinico GB Rossi, Piazzale LA Scuro, 37134 Verona, Italy.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Chronic Disease
Duodenal Diseases / diagnosis,  surgery*
Duodenum / pathology
Female
Humans
Male
Pancreas / pathology,  surgery
Pancreaticoduodenectomy
Pancreatitis / classification,  diagnosis*,  surgery*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Investigation of Ternary Complexes: DNA-Phosphatidylcholine Liposomes-Mg(2+) by Freeze-Fracture Meth...
Next Document:  Nitric Oxide Measurement in Chronic Cough.