Document Detail


PSA and second-line therapy of hormone refractory prostate carcinoma.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  11316973     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The aim of the present study was to correlate PSA response with subjective response (bone pain and performance status), in patients treated for hormone refractory carcinoma of the prostate. Twenty-four patients were introduced into the study. Median PSA was 198 ng/ml. Symptom score, performance status and PSA were monitored monthly for 3 months and then 3-monthly. Sixteen patients (66%) showed a PSA response (median value 10 ng/ml). In 8 patients (33%) PSA was <4 ng/ml. Eight patients (33%) only had a subjective response. However, 75% of the patients with a PSA value <4 ng/ml had a subjective improvement. On the other hand, subjective response was 25% only in patients in whom PSA value decreased to <50% of the initial value but >4 ng/ml. In conclusion, PSA response is not always related to subjective improvement and does not always implicate a beneficial effect of the therapy for the patient.
Authors:
V Serretta; I Rizzo; G Contino; C Pavone; G Pomara; D Melloni; M Pavone-Macaluso
Related Documents :
12835663 - Aberrant coronary arteries: a reliable echocardiographic screening method.
17095073 - Radical prostatectomy for octogenarians: how old is too old?
15659493 - Polymorphisms in fcgammariiia (cd16) receptor expression are associated with clinical r...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Urologia internationalis     Volume:  66     ISSN:  0042-1138     ISO Abbreviation:  Urol. Int.     Publication Date:  2001  
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2001-04-24     Completed Date:  2001-09-27     Revised Date:  2006-10-30    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0417373     Medline TA:  Urol Int     Country:  Switzerland    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  131-4     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
Copyright 2001 S. Karger AG, Basel
Affiliation:
Institute of Urology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy. vserrett@mbox.infcom.it
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adenocarcinoma / blood*,  drug therapy*
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Prostate-Specific Antigen / blood*
Prostatic Neoplasms / blood*,  drug therapy*
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
EC 3.4.21.77/Prostate-Specific Antigen

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Predictive value of radiological criteria for disintegration rates of extracorporeal shock wave lith...
Next Document:  Optimal starting time for flutamide to prevent disease flare in prostate cancer patients treated wit...